Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>>Actually, the last time the bps (bits per second) matched the baud rate was at 1200 baud. The bps rate has continued to climb because of data compression. The baud rate is limited in the line, but the different types of compression (such as phase shifting, etc.) can lift the bps well above that. At 9600 and again at 14400, many analysts declared that they had reached the "theoretical limit" of data transmission rates over phone lines. Two more compression layers later, were at 56K!<<

Actually, the way I remember it working - and bear in mind I'm not a telephone company operative or anything, just someone who'se been buying modems since they were 300 baud - the last time the BPS was the same as the baud rate was the old 300 baud modems. That;s why, if you think that far back, the 300 baud modem only produced on carrier tone, and it shifted pitch to indicate the on or off status. The 300 baud modem technology could actually run up to 600 baud, and then to make a 1200 baud modem they had to make 2 600's operating on different pitches - which is why it sounds squawkish. But not as noisy as a 2400 - because they just did the same thing again. There were even 9600 baud modems produced just like this. Sometime in the early 1990s, the technicians decided to incorporate data compression into the mix (which also adds hardware error correction), which is where you start to get into 14.4 v.32 BIS type modems and such.

By the way, I'm assuming since this cable modem is the newest and greatest, that it incorporates some kind of data compression and error correction hardware. But anyone who can confirm this would be appreciated...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.