Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
>>Do you guys really find it that hard to use this new system?<<
Yes, especially because the T'y has not sent me that goddam card.
-
>>I've been using a codecard for my brokerage account for a while now<<
Which broker is committing this cruelty?
-
>>Am I missing something?<< Please tell us what
disaster the access card will prevent.

If you don't take internet security seriously, you are going to be in big trouble. Years ago I invested in (and still own my shares in) a microcap named Wave Systems partly because it was the first to understand we were moving to this world of online finance where both real security and convenience were necessary (they were, unfortunately for their investors, years ahead of the curve). Saving your account number and password on the computer then automatically logging on is dangerous. Simple passwords that are easy to remember are dangerous. In fact, the whole password system is dangerous. It is easy for someone who has installed spyware on your computer (commonplace) to track keystrokes as you type in a password. What TDirect is doing is trying to make stealing passwords harder. If you haven't yet received your card, find out why. But using it and using the mouse to click in information instead of typing only takes a few extra seconds compared to typing in a password. If you like to spend time checking your accounts every day, the inconvenience mounts up, but for the occasional transaction, the few extra seconds is not a big deal and anything to enhance security is worth doing. I'm still waiting for the Wave solution, or something like it stolen by Microsoft or Intel (both of whom have partnered with Wave over the years) to be universally adopted.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.