Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>>>
The (relatively) standard reply around here is "if the interest rate on the loan is below 8%, then take
your money and invest it elsewhere, if the loan rate is above 8%, pay off the loan first".
<<<

I'm not sure what the rationale is for this "rule of thumb." Is the idea that the market always goes up more than 8%, so any loan with an interest rate below that is free money? I hope not, since the prior sentence is filled with illogical assumptions.

The idea that interest rates are low these days is also a bit illogical. Interest rates above the rate of inflation (real interest rates) are actually quite high historically. An 8% loan means you are paying 6.5-7% above inflation. That is not cheap.

Think of it this way: the market sets the risk free rate of return at the money market rate (for all practical purposes). What's that now? 4.75% or so I think. So if you can pay off a loan (a risk free investment) and get more than 4.75% then you have a maket beating return.

I would only think about taking out a loan to invest money if the interest rate were less than the average money market rate. Are margin rates ever less than the average money market rate? Don't think so.

I would take mortgages out of this discussion because a house is not only a necessity but an investment in itself. Student loans are a second tough one. One would hope a student loan would allow you to earn more money over your lifetime. That is an investment too. However, student loans carry high interest rates right now and I would direct some funds earmarked for invesment to paying off a student loan first.

Patick
Print the post  

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.