Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>>>>According to Asimov's autobiography, he didn't. His normal procedure was to write a draft, then retype it in final form making "minor" editorial changes in the process.

Wil: I guess you can get away with that when you're Isaac Asimov. When my first book ws published, there were what seemed like thousands of minor edits that the editor insisted on (mostly punctuation and formatting issues, a few grammatical changes). Okay, so he made almost all of the changes, but I still had to review every page to make sure that none of the edits changed the meaning of what I wrote (and I caught a few that did). That alone took several weeks (of course, I was doing it in the evenings, after work, so it took longer than if I were able to do it all day, as my actual job). It would have been impossible for me to write a book a month if I had to spend a week or two reviewing the edits for each one. But I guess if you trust the editor, and don't review the edits, that would work.

>>>>No, he enjoyed the "drudgework." For his nonfiction books, he even insisted on preparing the index himself (a process that involved notecards and plenty of floor space).

That makes it even more difficult to fathom how he had the time to write so much in the years he had....

Mark.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.