Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>>>>>
I was helping a friend with the taxes, and she has a nasty problem. She lived in NY state in 1997, and in late December moved to New Jersey. She was on maternity leave at the time. When she came back, she changed her address with Employer. By the time company processed that, it was late spring.

She only worked in NJ. But the company withheld both NY and NJ taxes, and more than that, the box for stage wages shows both NY and NJ amounts, and sum is 30% greater than the total income. I guess the company should correct W-2, right? What is the right way to handle this situation? If she can not resolve this very soon with the company, can she file NY state nonresident return with the NY wages of ZERO, even though her W-2 amount is 12K+?
<<<<<

I had something similair occur when I started working, the company didn't update their records before my first paycheck went out, so there were unnecessary state witholdings. My solution was to talk to HR and get them to refund the witholdings and square the problem with the state.

Assuming your friend's HR dept. isn't as nice as mine,I'd do just what you propose as far as filing a non-resident return. I'd attach a note explaining the snafu with copies of some supporting documentation (i.e. NJ lease, etc.) Calling the NJ tax people might also be a good idea as they would know what sort of documentation would be helpful.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.