No. of Recommendations: 0
Meanwhile, I got a surprise. Since I am on Social Security, and since I have a son who is in high school, he is getting $777.00 per month until he is 18. But wait! Since he turns 18 before graduating, he gets to continue that amount until he does graduate. Providing we get the form filled out. This was an unexpected (and unneeded) windfall in the first place, and now it gets extended.

Can you go into a bit detail about this? I have two daughters that are 3 & 5 and Hubby is set to retire Sept. 30.

If you are on Social Security and if you have a dependant child under the age of 18, the child gets some kind of payment. It will vary with the amount of Social Security you get. I do not know the rules - it was a complete surprise to me.

You will have to fill out a form yearly saying how you spent the money. Don't be a dummy like me, and check the box that says "for the child's benefit" AND the box that says "put in savings". Then you get a call saying you cannot check both boxes.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.