Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>>>>I would buy it especially if it got good reviews from a reviewer I respected.

I'm sure that's true of many books, but what percentage of SF books get reviewed at all? (I almost never see any, but maybe I'm not reading the right publications.) Sure, every King, Clancy and maybe McCaffrey book gets reviewed, but how many Joe-Blow-first-time-novelest works get reviewed--especially SF books?

I'm sure every SF book out there has been reviewed numerous times on various .alt lists and discussion boards! Amazon posts reviews. And even if you self-publish, you can get listed on Amazon.

I'm not looking to stuff it with padding just to make an arbitrary word length, but if I can find interesting scenes that will add to the story I'll certainly consider adding them rather than fall below whatever semiarbitrary limits a publisher might be looking for.

Oh good. I was afraid of completely tangential chapters. Good scenes that make sense in the story or develop secondary characters we care about and as a bonus generate satisfying heft is a good thing.

Oh, my other part of this experience is just having been addicted to the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time novels. His readers are very close to writing him off because the last two 600 pg books haven't advanced the story. Even in just the 2nd story, I find him summarizing the 1st and it's irritating. The review I read on the last book was that the whole thing just summarized the story to day. I guess that's the 'event horizon' of an epic series.

(When the summary to date is bigger than the novel, you've created a black hole!)

Keep up the good work!

- Kate
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.