Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>>>>If you're seriously considering stretching the story to make it the same length as other successful works in the genre, may I suggest a repeat viewing of Armageddon (the one with Bruce Willis)? And then contrast it with The Full Monty.

Kate: Okay, you've lost me with that comparison. (Never mind the fact that I haven't seen TFM.)

>>>>In short, let the story be the length it is. When your readers find you ;-), they will thank you for it.

Well, right now I have no idea how long it will be, but I suspect I'll have trouble getting to 100K words (which seems like a typical length for a SF novel these days). The way the book is structured, with a number of adventures along the way as the crew explores alien portals and various worlds, there is no reason I couldn't fit another planet or two in the middle somewhere if I need to, without hurting the overall story (maybe helping it if I do it right).

I just don't want to end up in the "no man's land" of a novella/novelette. Too short for it's own book, but too long for a short story anthology. How many novellas do you run across? Not many. A publisher isn't going to want to publish, say, a 180 page book these days. The cost of manufacturing, promoting, shipping, accounting for sales, etc., would make the cover price prohibitive. (Would you pay $5.99 for a 180-page novel from an unknown writer?) In other words, there is no point in staopping at 60K words if no one will buy a book shorter than 80K.

I'm shooting for about 300 (333-word) pages, but if I only make it to 250 and I'm happy with the story, I won't worry about it too much (unless an editor says "It's good, but a bit short."). Below that, though, and I think I'll have to do some beefing up.

Mark. (Of course, 60K words may be great for a screenplay.... <g>)
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.