Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>>>>If you're seriously considering stretching the story to make it the same length as other successful works in the genre, may I suggest a repeat viewing of Armageddon (the one with Bruce Willis)? And then contrast it with The Full Monty.

Kate: Okay, you've lost me with that comparison. (Never mind the fact that I haven't seen TFM.)

Armageddon was 3 hours, as many of the block-busters released in and around 1988 were. But it was clear from watching the plot that it was planned to be two hours. What they did to stretch the plot was add character development of the 6 main men so that we'd care about them.

The Full Monty is all about character development of 6 men, weighing in at a tidy 91 minutes.

Of the two, I'd far rather see The Full Monty again and again.

(Would you pay $5.99 for a 180-page novel from an unknown writer?)

Yep. I didn't know J.D. Salliger the first time I bought him. Or Madeliene L'Engle. Or Anne McCaffrey. Now, I did know George Lucas, and I regret spending the money and time to read 'Shadow Moon'.

I would buy it especially if it got good reviews from a reviewer I respected. Now, of course, you don't have to sell to me. You have to sell to a book publisher. And you probably aren't willing to promote it for young adults. So, yeah, you do have to write something that fits into what they expect to see right now. (Which *is not* the books that are coming out right now. There's about a 3 year lag time.)

Alternately, you can take the avenue of building your own audience and name recognition and putting yourself in the position of looking for a publisher who will partner with you in publishing your first novel. If you have more to say that's related but tangential, I'd suggest getting it on paper as a short story and getting it in print to start to build name recognition.

Your *BIGGEST* asset in publishing is being able to get great reviews. And as a former book reviewer, I'll let you know that books I felt were drawn out never made it into our paper.

- Kate
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.