Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>>>>NaNoWriMo = National Novel Writing Month, so though 50K seems short to you, it's probably a reasonable length for a novel written between November 1 and November 30.

liss: I'm not saying that 50K words in 30 days isn't a lot. It certainly is. (I wrote 40K in 30 days and it seemed like a lot to me!) What I meant was that I don't think there are many published novels of only 50K words these days. (I'm going by 300 pages of 334 words per page equaling 100K words. The SF paperbacks I looked at mostly averaged between 330 and 400 words per page.) The books written by Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, L. Frank Baum and Lewis Carroll may have successful despite being short, but they were written over a century ago.

By that measurement (100K), I'm only half done with my book, and I haven't a clue how I'm going to continue the story for another 50K.... (If I really try hard, I think I can get to 70-80K, but 100K?)

Mark. (Maybe I need a good old-fashioned space-time anomaly, or an ion storm, or an attack of the Borg to stretch the story out.)
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.