Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>>>>Of the two, I'd far rather see The Full Monty again and again.

Kate: Gotcha.

<<<<(Would you pay $5.99 for a 180-page novel from an unknown writer?)
>>>>Yep. I didn't know J.D. Salliger the first time I bought him. Or Madeliene L'Engle. Or Anne McCaffrey. Now, I did know George Lucas, and I regret spending the money and time to read 'Shadow Moon'.

That's good to know, of course I don't know if your reaction is typical of other readers (i.e., how many people would spend that much for a skinny SF book?) More importantly, how many publishers will buy a book that short?

>>>>I would buy it especially if it got good reviews from a reviewer I respected.

I'm sure that's true of many books, but what percentage of SF books get reviewed at all? (I almost never see any, but maybe I'm not reading the right publications.) Sure, every King, Clancy and maybe McCaffrey book gets reviewed, but how many Joe-Blow-first-time-novelest works get reviewed--especially SF books?

>>>>You have to sell to a book publisher. And you probably aren't willing to promote it for young adults. So, yeah, you do have to write something that fits into what they expect to see right now.

I'm not opposed to this book being read by young adults, but it isn't being written specifically for that audience and I think it probably fits a general adult category better. (Most YA books involve young protagonists, and mine doesn't.)

>>>>If you have more to say that's related but tangential, I'd suggest getting it on paper as a short story and getting it in print to start to build name recognition.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. You're saying that if I have some published short stories "under my belt" it might improve my chances of selling the book? Interesting. Of course, at the moment I don't have any short stories written, and I probably won't have the time to think of any until I'm finished with the book (assuming I don't freeze up somewhere along the line). I suppose it's possible I could write and have published some stories while the book is circulating. There might be some fortuitous timing that way (someone reads a story right before the book lands on their desk...). Hey, i-i-t could happen! <g>

>>>>Your *BIGGEST* asset in publishing is being able to get great reviews. And as a former book reviewer, I'll let you know that books I felt were drawn out never made it into our paper.

Well, I'm not looking to stuff it with padding just to make an arbitrary word length, but if I can find interesting scenes that will add to the story I'll certainly consider adding them rather than fall below whatever semiarbitrary limits a publisher might be looking for.

If the publisher likes the story but thinks a few of those scenes should be trimmed, that's fine by me. At least I got a foot in the door.

Mark.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.