Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>>>>Tom's legs seemed to collapse as he plopped on the floor. The thud reverberated along the platform.

CK: Not how I would word it, but I understand your point. I could have said "Tom sat down heavily as his legs collapsed beneath him." but I like the imagery of the marionette, even if has been used before.

>>>>"We go home." Cap walked back to the lift. I could see his neck muscles tense as he resisted the urge to look back.

Not bad. How about if I combine yours and Hook's, and a bit of my own:

Cap took a deep breath and exhaled sharply. “We go home,” he said, squaring his shoulders. It might have sounded uncaring to someone else, but we knew better. Cap turned and headed back to the portal. I could see his neck muscles tighten as he fought the temptation to look back one last time.

(I thought about "It might have sounded uncaring to someone who didn't know Cap, but we understood the depth of his pain." but I decided that simpler was better in this case.)

Mark.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.