Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>>>>Would a PDF file be better if you do not know what WP your recipient uses? I'm not sure if you can assume Microsoft Word is going to be on the machine.
>>>>A PDF is going to be readable no matter what platform it is received on.

Ford: If you are self-publishing, PDF is the way to go, not only because the end-user might not have Word installed, but because you don't want to give away your source file (easily editable by anyone).

On the other hand, if you are submitting to a publisher you should use whatever format the publisher wants it in. But, of course, if you don't know who the publisher is going to be at the time you are writing the piece, then it's a crapshoot.

Apple may indeed be prevalent in the publishing business, but if you don't happen to own an Apple computer, I don't see how you are going to be able to submit a manuscript in Apple format. Most PC users have Intel/AMD computers with Windows (although Linux is starting to make inroads in the desktop market). Most Windows users will probably have a copy of either MS Works or MS Office, both of which would give them MS Word.

There are plenty of free/cheap alternatives available, but there is no guarantee that the publisher will be able to use the format. As the lowest common denominator, the piece could be sent as plain text, but then the underscores (representing italics) will be lost, requiring a fair amount of editing on the back end to put them all back in.

Just my thoughts on the subject. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject.

Mark.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.