Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>>>>Wow. I knew folks had already done the filtering before I was ever in a position to do it for retail, but had not realized that the existing filters suck. Hmmmmm.
>>>>Doesn't Open Office do a good job of reading/writing Word .doc files? I don't swap files much, actually, except in ASCII, so had not realized there was a problem.

ILC: It's possible that things have changed in the last three years, but when I wrote a series of white papers on Windows-to-Linux migration in 2000, I tested Hancom Word, AbiWord, ThinkFree Write and StarOffice Writer. All had significant problems with importing Word 2000 documents. StarOffice Writer came the closest to a clean conversion, but it dropped m-dashes, did weird things with list bullets and lost the last page of my 30 page document. Other programs variously didn't support tables of contents, trademark symbols, even the Ariel font.

Going the other way wasn't any better. MS Word consistently garbled documents created by the other programs. (Whether due to the export filters of the Linux apps or quirks in Word I couldn't say.) Even when going between established Windows apps, like Word 2000 and Lotus WordPro Millennium (9.0), each app's import filter messed up the formatting of documents created by the other program in their native formats. That's still true of WordPro 9.7 and Windows 2000 (I haven't yet used Windows 2003).

Mark.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.