Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>>Having lived through having my 401k shrink by $100k in the early 2000's before I got my act together

> Assuming you were well diversified in 2000, getting your act together >likely lost you money in the long run. For those that stayed fully >invested and continued to add money via DCA, most had regained all that >they had lost and then some by 2005.

Waiting five years to get your money back is not my idea of comforting.

>You risk the same mistake this time if you are panic-selling.

You risk alot more if this 10% correction turns into something more substantial like a 20-30% bear market. You can always get back in if the market goes up.

It's not just that we have a 10-15% correction on our hands, it's that the professionals are selling. Check the volume on up days vs. down days and you will see what I mean.

>a relatively short window to retirement but not within 5 years.

>If you are not planning to retire in the next five years, why are you >overly concerned? A 10% correction occurs nearly every single year. What >we have seen with the stock market right now was LONG overdue and is >necessary for the longterm health of market.

Because mutual fund managers will repeat the same mistakes they did in the 2000 bear. You are right about a 10% correct. What if it turns into a ten or 20 - 30% correct. The gain to break even after a lose is always large then the loss itself. See a %loss to %break-even table:

http://www.fundblawg.com/journal/2006/10/19/avoid-large-losses.html

The other myth perpetuated is that on AVERAGE the market has gone up 8-10% annually. You don't earn average returns; you earn geometric returns. By way of illustration a 100% gain, followed by a 50% loss is a 50% average gain. The real return is zero.
Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.