Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 33
>>I hate to be rude, but what have these elderly people been doing with their lives? Haven't they been saving up for their retirement? Why don't they get themselves some insurance? Were they dumb enough to think that the U.S. government was actually going to provide their every need when they are old and helpless? <<

Let's see. What were they doing? My father worked in the same company for 42 years (except for the 5 years he was in the Army and getting shot at and wounded by Germans and given medals by the US). His pension at retirement was $16,000. His house was paid off and he'd reared four children. My mother worked in a non-profit after the children were in high school and had a small IRA (hers was the second one opened in the state) that gave her about $1000/year after retirement.

My mother developed a heart condition and had a stroke. My father developed diabetes and then cancer. Both required many medications. Expensive ones.

Gee, sorry. They weren't piling up money in stocks. They didn't have money to pile up while there were kids growing and falling ill and being active in school and then going to college. They also had elderly parents who came from the pre-social security generation. One of them lost a son in World War II - her sole support. So those parents moved in with their children.

The current elderly in the US worked hard and gave a lot to this country and I think it's not out of line to think that the country might give them a hand at the end of their lives.

>>Those who are smart enough will save that money and make it grow over time to provide themselves with enough money to last them through their whole life. Those who are not smart enough will waste their money just like they will waste their lives, expecting "Sweet Uncle Sam" to pick up the slack when they are penniless and retired. As a student and soon to be employee, I am not looking forward to giving a large sum of my paycheck to those ignorant few who lacked foresight.<<

Obviously, you think you're one of the smart ones. Perhaps they were not smart enough, as you say. Perhaps it was answering their country's call in wartime that was dumb. Think what they could have been doing those five years - getting degrees, socking money into stocks! Who the heck cares that their country was in trouble? They should have been thinking about their future.

I have to repeat, they aren't asking for a handout. They're asking for a hand.

I can tell you don't have much life experience. Come talk to me in ten years and tell me how everything is a matter of being smart and saving money. And here I thought the Republicans loved veterans.

Maraith
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.