No. of Recommendations: 0
>>I have a 401k,company penson,& company stock.Is it beter to roll them over into 3 ira's or all into 1 ira at one broker.>>

Are you certain you can rollover each of these to an IRA?

I had an ESOP distribution a few years ago. I rolled different amounts into 5 mutual fund IRA's. The thing I have learned is that each IRA provider charges a yearly IRA fee. Some mutual funds wave the fee, if the IRA exceeds a specified amount. These fees ran from $12.50 per Management to $25 per fund per year.

Thus in my case, I could have ended up paying $125 per year but luckily I exceeded their minimums.

I would check each discount broker to see what yearly fees they charged for IRA accounts.

I would also ask if I purchased mutual funds through their brokerage within the IRA account if the funds would also charge a yearly IRA fee.

The only reason to limit a rollover to one broker is to pay only one yearly fee. I would imagine you could rollover into as many IRA accounts as you enjoy paying yearly fees for.

Hope this helps...BGP
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.