Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
>>I suppose the Colorado politicians have repealed or circumvented this restriction by now.<<

TABOR still exists. - rad

--------------------

I am not trying to be argumentative here. I really enjoyed the Magness article you linked for its own sake. I only made note of a Colorado tax limit in passing as it does seem like a good policy. That said, I did a little research on TABOR and found this. So far, politicians being the weasels that they are, have bypassed more than half of the spirit of TABOR. Taxpayer will be damned.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/06/20/tabor-colorado-taxpaye...

TABOR FAQ: Colorado’s Taxpayer Bill of Rights explained

No other state in the country has a law like Colorado’s Taxpayer Bill of Rights.

The constitutional amendment passed by voters in 1992 gives the job of deciding whether to raise taxes to Colorado voters instead of elected officials.

Liberals loathe it and say its restrictions have hamstrung schools, transportation and other government services. Conservatives say it has kept taxes low and government in check.
The refunds were larger when TABOR first passed, but that was before lawmakers figured out how to maneuver around the refund requirements.

For example, not every dollar the state collects gets counted toward the cap. Federal dollars that pass through state coffers don’t count, and neither do those collected by parts of the government called enterprises.

Enterprises collect a fee for a product or service like registering a vehicle or entering a state park. Since TABOR passed, a lot of government services have been reclassified as enterprises. They’re now the biggest part of state government. In the 2017-18 fiscal year, enterprises totaled $17.9 billion, while the revenue subject to TABOR totaled $11.2 billion.
Yes. One of the most popular workarounds is called “de-Brucing,” and it’s named for the man who wrote the TABOR amendment, Douglas Bruce. The nickname refers to a vote that permanently lifts the TABOR tax cap — effectively ending those tax refunds by letting governments keep all the taxes they collect.

All but four of Colorado’s 178 school districts have already “de-Bruced.” Eighty-five percent of Colorado’s municipalities and 51 of 64 counties have also convinced their voters to let them opt out.

Coloradans will decide whether to let the state do the same thing when they vote on Proposition CC this November.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.