No. of Recommendations: 0
>>If I felt I was being 'socially engineered' in order to recieve an inheritance, I'd feel quite resentful. Might even tell you/your estate to stick it.

You might well resent the IRS but in the tax code there is social engineering woven throughout. Have you ever looked at the Earned Income Credit? Are you aware that 401K matching is directly a result of the tax code? Charitable contributions? Credit for teacher expenses? Child tax credit?

If you told me you rejected a tax benefit written into the IRS tax code, I would have a very hard time believing you. People just don't work that way.

My earliest idea was to do something like matching a person's earned income, or their investment gains, or something like that. Not exactly a heavy hand, is my intention (although even that may be too complex and expensive to administer). People will do what their lives what they will, and make personal choices about how hard to pursue the almighty dollar, and I would like to just give them more of what they choose.

But no, I have seen and heard enough tales of pissing away any amount of money straight down the toilet, that I am very wary of a big dollar windfall. ESPECIALLY for someone I love. Anything that weakens their ability to earn and learn and live their own life, such as a windfall enough to live on for 10 years, could be not actually doing them a favor in the long run.

With the alternative of leaving an estate to charity, at least there is some solid assurance that 80-85% of it will do good! Is that so hard to understand?

Regards -- C44
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.