Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
>>My 3moBG was down from 6.3 to 5.7 since last February. Still no medication except preventative, and doc does not want to see me for 6mo.<<

First...good! Keep it up; meaning, keep going. The good news is that you're coming down. The less-than-perfect news: the rule that says 'below 6% is excellent' is out of date, and they haven't gotten around to revising it yet, like they have other numbers. (e.g. morning, fasting b.g. levels to be declared officially 'diabetic' used to be pretty high; then, 6 years ago, it was still 140; now, 127. Same with blood pressure; the limits on it have been made more strict (and bp is even more important for us than for non-diabetics, remember). Our 'max' goal now has to be down to 120/70.

Every year that goes by, it becomes even clearer that permanent organ damage (for example) occurs unless bg is controlled much tighter than was thought previously. Remember, 'normal' folks are under 5%; 6% = excellent is almost certainly not really excellent in terms of preventing further damage over time; such as against the heart.
(In fact, when I had my latest quarterly with my doc last week; one thing I asked him was, why didn't he test for CRP (C-Reactive Protein), which Men's Health Magazine says ALL men over 40 need to include that in their blood workup. His answer: "Well, if you absolutely insist, we could do it. But all C-Reactive Protein does is give us one more parameter--like cholesterol, etc.-- to take into consideration to determine whether you're at risk of heart disease. But, Jim, you're a diabetic; you already HAVE heart disease, by definition. So it's of no use". To which I responded, "Oh, yeah that's right"...since ADA's monthly magazine has made clear that all diabetics..but especially Type IIs (which is only 90% of us!) have heart damage equivalent to one heart attack already; and all risk factors need to take that into account.

>>... and doc does not want to see me for 6mo.<<

Er, caution, there. It takes a lot less time than that for someone who WAS in control, to lose control...and cause damage you can't recover. Unfortunately, I know: I went for 3 years, never rising above 5.9%; to the point where I took it as a given that I could remain in control. Then, in quick succession, had a career catastrophe at work; an accident; and money problems. AND, I ended up missing my quarterly blood work. But, hey, I was in control, no problem. Right?
Well...turns out that stress, BY ITSELF, raises bg in diabetics. i.e, maintain all other parameters, and put yourself under real stress for a decent while, and your numbers will go up. I thought I new that...but.... and of course, in addition, I also lost my discipline on my food and exercise during this time, due to the same stress.

End result....after a few months, my eyes--which I had maintained at 20/20....started going south, and became noticeable when I was clearly much worse at the end of one week than at the beginning! But by then the damage was done; went back into my opthamologist, and sure enough, down to 20/250..and it's permanent. All in a couple of months. From now on, I (MYSELF!) insist on quarterly blood work--which my doctor, who also had said I didn't have to do it for 6 months, agreed to now. So your experience with your doctor is unfortunately standard, I think..but it shouldn't be.

And my doc and I have agreed that as long as the numbers look good, I only have to see him every six months...but blood work every 3, he'll look at the numbers and mail 'em to me; and so long as we're ok, I don't need to come in that quarter.

I just wanted to caution you, is all, ok? Most insurance companies go along with quarterly blood work for diabetics, and since honest damage can happen in that short a period of time, in my view, should be taken advantage of.

JP
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.