Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
>>Simmons visited Ghawar personally..spoke with and got info from the people there
>>(while researching for his book)..so I think it's fair to say he "knows something"

I am looking for a higher standard than "Knows Something". I have spoken with people who have actual experience modeling Ghawar reserves, back when Americans did that job, and Simmons does not have credibility with them.

>>Also he has generally not be just calling the Saudis out and out liars...
>>he even appears on a panel WITH the Saudi reps ( CSIS event as I recall, posted many months back
>>on GlobalPublicMedia.com) so has been polite with them face to face.....

Whatever goodwill he had at that time, he has reversed. Simmons has gone on record as saying something that deeply offends the Saudi community, there are no cordial relations there now. At a recent reservoir conference in the Middle East, it would have been possible to have Simmons there, it would have been possible to have the Saudis there, but it would be impossible to have both present. The Saudis would pull out rather than appear in the same venue as Simmons.

So the guy makes enemies, that much is clear. Does that make him smart, or not-so-smart? One is led to choose between a conspiracy theory and discounting Simmons. The former would be true if indeed the Saudis were deceiving the world and Simmons held the banner of truth. Myself I am inclined to think Simmons is a self-important consultant who has arrived at a scare story and wants to promote it for all the money and fame it it worth.

Hope this helps -- C44
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.