Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
>Hey Karen! I'm used to reading your posts over on >misc.consumers.frugal-living. Glad to see you here. >What major repairs was she trying to make that would >have you out on the streets for a few months? She >probably should've done them before you moved in :) >Happy things worked out in your favor though.

Isn't it fun to see the web "cross-pollinating"? It's always interesting to see people in different places.

The problems with my apartment came up suddenly (I've lived here 2 1/2 years). I used to have water pipes embedded in my floor, very common for garage floors. But the problem is that if they break they are nearly impossible to fix, because they are surrounded by concrete. Back around Thanksgiving, my landlady's water bill suddenly tripled, and we figured out one of those pipes had sprung a leak. She had to install a completely new heating system, and in the middle of winter it couldn't wait too long. So she wanted me to move out. The repairs wouldn't have taken months, but I would have had to move all my furniture somewhere, presumably into storage or into a new apartment. She wanted me out for at least six weeks, probably more. And once I was out, I'm not sure I could have gotten back in, the rental market is crazy here and I get phone calls from people asking me if I'm moving so they can get the apartment, and if someone came along who offered to pay more... In the end, she had the plumbers move all my furniture into the driveway (thankfully it didn't rain) and paid them extra to get it done in four days. I'm still trying to unpack all the boxes, I had to pack up just about everything. In a city with more rental apartments, I would have just moved, it would have been easier.

In an answer to another question, realtor fees are also common here (Rockland County, a suburb of NYC). When I moved here, my company paid the fee, and that's another reason not to move. Finding apartments without a fee is a constant topic of conversation among younger people at my job. Sometimes you see them in the newspaper, or advertised on bulletin boards. Our company has a biweekly classified ad sheet, and you see apartments on there, too. At least here, the fee is paid by both sides (rentor and landlord) so landlords are happy to find someone without it, but unless you "know someone" it's hard to find one.

Karen
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.