Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 15
>I also don't understand why people complain about TMF and internet advertising in general (you know,
>banner ads and such).

I personally have nothing against banner ads per se; what I object to is the use of banner ads to

1) launch other windows (yes, sometimes those pop-up windows come from the banner site); this has prompted me to list every such advertiser as "untrusted" in Internet Explorer, and simply to disable javascript access for them in iCab;

2) detract from the content of the page. In TV and radio, ads cannot coexist (other than in branding, which can also cause me to stop watching/listening if done in a way that detracts from the show) literally at the same time. In print, they can't dance around. Ads that do this either cause me to stop coming to the site, or to disable all access to that advertiser.

Sometimes I swear banner ads seem deliberately made to load slowly in a manner that delays the loading of the page, so that the banner ad is the only thing on the page for a short time.

3) track my movements around the web. Many banner ads come from a central source. They thus can use either cookies (which I almost always disable from central ad sites) or IP addresses to create profiles of visitors' web visits to any site which holds the banner ads (and possibly the single previous site). That's personal data. I'd be against them tracking me from building to building in the city, and I'm against them tracking me from web site to web site.

Jerry
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.