No. of Recommendations: 0
>I hate to be pedantic, but this is just plain wrong. The antonym of broadband is baseband (which, incidentally, is the "Base" in "10Base-T"), not "narrowband." It simply describes whether the medium allows a single frequency (baseband) or multiple frequencies (broadband). It has nothing to do with speed. As an example, Ethernet (10 Mbps) and Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) are baseband, but will make the kind of broadband connections that are available in the home today look like a 56k modem.<

The thing is, 'common usage' in wide area networking has broadband as high speed (above T1) and narrowband as anything below it. Being technically correct doesn't always make it easier to be understood...(aside--when I started working in datacom, I was told by a knowledgeable consultant that the word 'router' (what Cisco makes) should always be pronounced 'rooter', that a 'router' was some kind of woodworking tool. I used that pronounciation for a year until I got too many disbelieving stares...)

Mara
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.