Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
>I hired a financial planner some 15 yrs. ago

All I can say is I wish I had.

I was caught in a downsizing late last year, and while not totally unexpected, I was nowhere near prepared (but thought that I was)

Took some real fast education, some planning/statusing tools (my first copy of quicken for the home computer all though I had been using there finacial planner for about the previous 2 years to get a feel for how I stood as far as my assets were concerned).

So the first part of this year had been way hectic, but sorta fun and wow did I sure have to do a whole lot of deciding about things that I never would have dreamed of. Hell I just found out about this 70 1/2 withdrawl thing about a few months ago.

But the good news is that as a result of saving for a whole lot of years (in company plans including 401K) and luck, I am pretty sure that between the pension I am getting and the savings that I had, I probably will be ok.

lol, and that includes getting a 16 year old and 13 year old through college (probably not Harvard or Stanford though)

oldred22
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.