Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
>i think the cookie placers
>have the opportunity to gather much more
>useful information than
>the methods they've used before
>and as such
>we should get more for our money

Alvin Toffler discusses this in PowerShift, about the increase in usefulness of information as cross-referencing becomes more and more viable. I strongly recommend it (although you can get the gist simply by listening to Warren Zevon's "Lawyers, Guns, and Money"). The distributors want to compile the information and keep it from retailers and manufacturers; the retailers want to compile the information and keep it from the distributors and manufacturers; and the manufacturers haven't figured out how they can possible keep the information for themselves without having to pay the retailers and distributors for it. Everybody wants to make money on the information collected from consumers, and nobody wants to pay the consumers for that information. Here is where I think the can help--information for information is a fine trade. But I want the transaction open, obvious, and honest.

>i think the people that dislike ads
>and disable web ads
>are a small vocal minority

Depends on what you mean by web ads; when I teach beginning web browsing and mention that disabling javascript disables pop-up ads, half the class will suddenly pull out their pens and start taking notes :*)

I like ads too. Some of my best friends are ads. It's only the undesirable ads that I disable.

Jerry "I don't think you can get AIDS from burning down your house, but I see your point" Stratton
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.