Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
Hey guys,

Guess what our current leaders, downwithpumpers and TMFEldrehad are doing?

Check their closes - lots of little wins (in fact nothing but, lately) - and a few BIG losses. The EXACT profile of mathematically exploiting accuracy to gain rank that we've been talking about.

Also, TMFEldrehad has over a 2200 score (real outperformance of the S&P500), while downwithpumpers has 2001 or so - 10% lower! But downwithpumpers' 1-2% higher accuracy carries the day.

And all the power to them. They've figured it out. I'd do (am doing) the same. (TMFEldrehad has himself acknowledged it in these posts; and his results aren't quite as blatant.)

Now to get there I'll give them that they also have to be fairly decent stock-pickers, but my analogy is this. In baseball there are LOTs of good players, but, the ones that take steroids hit more home runs and rise to the top. Pretty soon the other players, wanting to be able to compete, figure out that the only way they can do that is to also take steroids. Then we start wondering why baseball isn't what it was originally meant to be.

Accuracy is to CAPS what steroids is to baseball - an artificial distortion that rewards those who exploit it. How long before EVERYONE starts taking the steroids?

There is NO WAY, in the real world, that I would pay attention to an advisor with a scalping strategy - yet THAT is where we are headed with CAPS stock ratings? Guys that win by scalping call the shots on the weighting?

TMF newsletters espouse buying good quality companies and holding them for LONG periods of time. Am I the only one, apart from Woof and Bingo (boy do we sound like a rag-tag bunch), that sees the implications of this disconnect?

Just sayin'

Cheers, :)
AM
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.