Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Below are Philip Durell's rough notes on the 1st question asked at Berkshire 2010 (unedited and the q&a is not word-for-word):

QUESTION: Goldman Sachs & SEC. Compared to Salomon clip - Goldman lost reputation - what do you think about transaction & what advice would you give the board of Goldman, reflections on Berkshire's investment

ANSWER (Buffett): I think the transaction has been somewhat misrepresented by media. 4 losers - Goldman lost about $100m on the Abacus deal. ABN AMRO lost the most guaranteed credit on another company. We do it at Berkshire & get paid for it & make money on it. We have lost money when the guaranteed company went bad. ABN AMRO lost $900m because they made a bad deal. ACA the insured company something like Ambac & MBIA. Started insuring municipal bonds but got into insuring structured credit - all of them got into trouble. We insure bonds but stay away from structured credit. We are often brought business and asked to insure bonds BUT we don't care who is on the other side of the trade - it could be Ben Bernanke or John Paulson for all we care. It's up to us to decide if we want to insure the bonds & what premium we'll accept.

No-one should have any problem if we had shorted or gone long the housing market in 2007. Buffett has not seen anything wrong in the deal.

It's probably helped BRK's investment because they probably will delay them calling our preferred shares! We get $15 a second on those preferreds - we get 10% and they could put them back to us by paying as $5.5b which we would put in short term - so we love the investment.

The allegation & press alone hurt the reputation. I don't believe an allegation falls into my judgement - if its proved that's a different matter & we'll look at it. I do not see that Abacus deal is wrong. 

END OF P.D. NOTES / POST RE: GOLDMAN QUESTION

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.