Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Glad to see some activity here. An occasional short is my bad behavior, my guilty pleasure. This investor's "eat what you want on Sundays" diet. Some people's monthly cigarette.

I rationalize it thus:
- I use it sparingly
- short positions actually help me manage my emotions through market volatility. Even their very small allocation relative to the rest of my portfolio has disproportionate stabilizing effects - something to the effect of "whoa, market is down 350 points today (as it is)...but it's ok because my X, Y, Z short positions are up". This works, in part, because I view those positions as short-term gambles and I can focus on them instead of my portfolio balance in that moment.
- I have noticed it's a different, useful discipline to evaluate something as a potential short and has definitely helped me apply a similar discipline to evaluating my long positions: "how could this go really badly?"

I have had some successes (pocket-sized fuel cells, Lumber Liquidators when the first news of their sourcing scandal dribbled out, SeaWorld when I saw previews for "Blackfish") and some losses (Chipotle had many more good days ahead of it than I thought, Caterpillar and Deere were at a different point in their business cycle than I estimated). Presently, I'm short Proto Labs on valuation at $111/share (having benefited from a great long pick through $110/share), Bed Bath and Beyond, and a basket of Big Oil. On a day when my long positions (again, representing 95+% of my portfolio) are absolutely bleeding out, seeing Big Oil down 3-5% helps settle me.

The best version of shorting is finding companies that I think might actually be frauds - way more interesting to me than shorting on valuation or events, but definitely harder to find. The best was a company that claimed to have a pocket-sized and re-fillable liquid fuel cell battery. They went from $30/share to about $0.10 when my shares were called. Very satisfying and profitable experience!
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.