Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
What a sham. I hope Paul Hamm understands the crowd was not booing him, but at the horrible judging in tonight's event.

Charlie
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
What a sham. I hope Paul Hamm understands the crowd was not booing him, but at the horrible judging in tonight's event.

I don't think anyone could have mistaken that for what it was. I've NEVER, ever seen anything like that, and I've been watching gymnastics since Montreal and Nadia when I was 10. This has always been one of my favorite sports to watch and I've seen some crowds upset over some scores, but never this kind of prolonged response, much less the president of the FIG come out and confer with the judges during the middle of an event. The crowd's response was even more incredible to me given that it was a Russian athlete, not a Greek athlete, so it isn't as if they were partisan. (Alexei Nemov did show a LOT of class. Very impressive). Nor have I ever heard the commentators making such strong statements as they did tonight - sometimes they will say that was a little high or a little low, but they were throwing words around like "inexcusable" tonight. I think some changes really, really need to be made, and soon.
No. of Recommendations: 6
They could start by cleaning house bigtime and canning a whole batch of incompetent judges. The judging in these Games was utter BS. I'd have given Nemov a 9.85, and I could have stomached a 9.8, but no lower than that, because the deductions were not there to support anything lower. And how in the flaming bloody hell those doofuses who scored the women's floor tonight could give Mohini Bhardwaj a 9.312, even out of a 9.7 start value, is utterly beyond rationality. There were maybe 2 tenths of deductions in that routine at a max, and that's only if you're being chickencrap about it. They need to fly in a planeload of pink slips and start handing them out to those judges one right after another. There'll probably be other big changes in the system, but what the FIG really needs to do is get rid of the bad judges, because if they don't, NO system will work for long.
Plus, I hate the whole tie breaker thing. Who in heck cares?

Now, I've never done gymnastics, but I swam and sometimes there weren't fancy timers, but I never cared if I tied for first. I still got first! I also wouldn't think there would be too many ties in Gymnastics, but in these Olympics we saw at least 4 in the past two days. I have to wonder what's going on when 3 people get the exact same score, that's just very, very strange. If they get the same score it's a tie, there's a reason they call it that. Maybe they should go back over all the basics with the judges just to make sure they know what they are doing.

=) Megan
I hope Paul Hamm understands the crowd was not booing him, but at the horrible judging in tonight's event.

The Russian's performance was clearly better in my eyes. However, since I know nothing about gymnastics judging, I have no idea if the technicals in his program should have added up to a higher score even though his performance was more crowd pleasing.
Isn't it amazing that for the first few days, it looked as if the gymnastics would be remembered for having nobody there but family and coaches, but ended up being remembered for the biggest crowd reaction ever?
I was really surprised to see all the seats full, after the way things began.

And IMO, Nemov deserved at least the Bronze. Best routine of the night, but the step on the landing hurt, and some of the moves may be easier than they appear (but still, 4 release moves in a row??!! That's gotta be worth something).

All in all, best high bar competition I've ever seen. It's a shame that the Korean (sorry, can't remember the name) had a disaster.

David
Whatever it was the judges were smoking last night, i'd like to try some.

The p-bar scores were just insane and i thought it might be because of the newbies that replaced the suspended ones. Then it continued through the women's floor and then the high bar. I don't get it.

I hate that Paul Hamm is being made out to be a bad guy in some circles. That needs to stop right now!

I ♥ Alexei Nemov. I really wish he could have gotten the medal he deserved.

And points to Announcer Al for getting in another excellent jab during all the brouhaha! The commentators were saying what a class act Nemov is and Al said, "Svetlana Khorkina could learn something from him." <snort!>
I'll throw my $.02 worth in here.

1. I am not a huge fan of the sport. I HAVE to give these guys props for what they do. Watching these guy control themselves in a way I can only imagine. Imagine a mid-200lber pulling off these moves.

2. The Russian dude got jobbed last night. I don't know much about scoring but from what I saw, his routine was the best apart from the eventual winner.

3. The Italian dude won it fair & square. His was by far the best.

OK..........than't enough.

Whatever it was the judges were smoking last night, i'd like to try some.

I was wondering if that was really chalk and if the judges got a few sniffs of it if it wasn't ;)