Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Few comments on the women's team event -

I thought it was a very different mood at the end of the women's competition as opposed to at the end of the men's. At the men's competition everyone seemed to agree that the Japanese really deserved to win gold and the men seemed happy to win silver. In contrast, the ladies seemed sad last night to win silver. I realize the dream is to win gold, but c'mon people, it's a freaking silver at the Olympics! Is it too much to ask for you to smile? Anyway, I'm proud of what the Americans did, but I do think the Romanians deserve the gold. They were the better team last night. Under this new format, a wobble here, a step there, can mean the difference between gold and silver. and that's what happend last night.

I ♥ Mohini. Imagine having to do the beam with no warm up and never really expecting that you'd be expected to do this event because it's not your strongest. She went out there and did a great job (given the circumstances).

I think experience really does count for something. Carly really seemed to get a case of the nerves and I think a lot of that had to do with her relative inexperience. There's a lot to be said for having one or two older gymnasts to anchor the team like Mohini did.

Last thought - Svetlana Khorkina scares the bejesus out of me. She looks like she would do anything, anything to win.

Fi
Print the post Back To Top
Last thought - Svetlana Khorkina scares the bejesus out of me. She looks like she would do anything, anything to win.

She has to be the tallest gymnast ever.
Considering the women did not medal in Sydney, I think a Silver Medal is excellent. No one should feel down on that team. Kudos to them!

Charlie
I think what they are mostly down about is the mistakes they made. It is one thing to give your best effort and get beaten. It is harder to reconcile losing, when you know you could have given a better performance than you did. Just human nature.
No. of Recommendations: 4
the ladies seemed sad last night to win silver. I realize the dream is to win gold, but c'mon people, it's a freaking silver at the Olympics!

Yeah, a little shout out to the Romanians during the interviews wouldn't have hurt. Something along the lines of, "We made some mistakes and the Romanians didn't - they were the better team tonight and deserved to win."

I thought it was sweet when the US and Russians went over to the Romanians, congratulating them and kissing cheeks.

Svetlana Khorkina scares the bejesus out of me

<snort!>

I think she's just mad because she hasn't eaten in about five years. I thought her toothpick-like arms would snap during some of her events. Someone get that woman a cheeseburger - stat!
I admit, I fully expected the Romanians to win. The US team doesn't have high enough start values.

Khorkina didn't seem herself this time around. Every other time I've watched her compete she has seemed to enjoy herself. Last night she was so....grim!

That was adorable how all the teams gathered around to share congratulations. And can I just mention how much I dislike Elsie Schlagel or whatever her name is? Every time somebody makes a mistake, I swear her only goal in the post-competition interview is to make them cry on camera.

I &heart; Mohini too. I've always liked her, and I am glad she came back to the team. She did an awesome job on beam.

And I am so glad Fan Ye didn't break anything on that uneven parallel bar fall! Ow!
No. of Recommendations: 3
That should be I ♥ Mohini. I never thought I would say this, but Yay for Pamela Anderson!

cathy
No. of Recommendations: 1
Every time somebody makes a mistake, I swear her only goal in the post-competition interview is to make them cry on camera.

I was amused at how Patterson's eyes (I think it was her, anyway) seemed to be saying, "Give me a break, these are the lamest questions I've ever heard!" during the post-competition interview.

And I am so glad Fan Ye didn't break anything on that uneven parallel bar fall! Ow!

That was simply heartbreaking.

Plaidy
I dislike Elsie Schlagel or whatever her name is? Every time somebody makes a mistake, I swear her only goal in the post-competition interview is to make them cry on camera.

Elfi (*giggle*) Schlagel is the announcer; Andrea Joyce, i believe, is the interviewer.

I have really disliked ALL the post-event interviews in all the sports. They're idiotic. I mean, is no one able to predict that Carly Patterson feels disappointed after messing up big time, which essentially cost the team the gold?

Do you really believe that Michael Phelps is going to say, "No" when you ask him if he's excited about the possibility of winning eight medals in one Games?

A friend told me she saw some dumbo chasing Jennie Finch (USA - Softball) off the field saying things like, "Is it distracting because people focus on your looks instead of your pitching?" and "Do your teammates get jealous of all the attention on you?" All the while ignoring said teammates.

Thanks for chiming in, Part of the Problem.

The way popped back up so fast, I was expecting her to try and claim it was a new element in her routine. LOL. When she hit though, I though she was dead.
No. of Recommendations: 4
I was amused at how Patterson's eyes (I think it was her, anyway) seemed to be saying, "Give me a break, these are the lamest questions I've ever heard!" during the post-competition interview.

I really really really really hope someone snaps back soon.

I'm dying to hear a good sarcastic "Well, after training my whole life for this race, being favored to win and then coming in sixth, well, it just doesn't get much better than that. NEXT QUESTION."

snippee
betting Gary Hall would do that
I was very pleased that we came out with a medal. So what if it wasn't Gold, Silver is better than Bronze, and Bronze is better than 4th, and 4th better than 5th and so on. You go out and do your best and sometimes other people's best is better than you.

I did like how the Russian and American teams went over to congratulate the Romanian team.

Mohini rocks! I'm so glad she was there, I do think her experience and age give her a head up on the other members of the team. Most of them seemed pretty nervous.

I loved how Svetlana finished her floor exercise by blowing a kiss to the crowd, her rountine was great.

=) Megan
I loved how Svetlana finished her floor exercise by blowing a kiss to the crowd

That was great. It was nice to see her smile during the routine, too.
I thought it was a very different mood at the end of the women's competition as opposed to at the end of the men's. At the men's competition everyone seemed to agree that the Japanese really deserved to win gold and the men seemed happy to win silver. In contrast, the ladies seemed sad last night to win silver. I realize the dream is to win gold, but c'mon people, it's a freaking silver at the Olympics! Is it too much to ask for you to smile? Anyway, I'm proud of what the Americans did, but I do think the Romanians deserve the gold. They were the better team last night. Under this new format, a wobble here, a step there, can mean the difference between gold and silver. and that's what happend last night.

Part of the difference in the way that the men reacted vs. the women; the women's team was the reigning world champion; they were favored to win the gold. The men's team was not expecting it.
Add to that the fact that the women largely beat themselves; the Romanians aren't better, they just didn't make the multiple mistakes that the US team made (of course, the Romanians fully deserved the gold)

David