Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Had all my 401K transferred to a self directed stock fund with my local regional broker. He has not been muck help.

If you are not going to manage the money on your own, you need a fee based investment manager, not a commissioned based broker. Historically, this would have been places like bank trust departments and outside investment consultants. Merrill Lynch and others are now getting into the act. In fact, this is what "mutual funds" actually do, except the money is not managed for a single individual, but multiple people.

The other thing to look at is return vs. risk. Since you only have 2 years to go until you start using the money, maybe you are in conservative stocks vs. high risk stocks.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.