Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hah! The previous payment system eBay owned, before it bought PayPal, because it couldn't compete effectively with PayPal.

Billpoint was the name of a person-to-person money transfer service founded in 1998 and purchased in 1999 by online auctioneer eBay.[2]

In July 2002, eBay CEO Meg Whitman agreed to the acquisition of PayPal with its CEO Peter Thiel. When the deal was closed in October 2002, eBay began the process of phasing out Billpoint.[5] The shutdown was completed in early 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billpoint

Steve
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
After first being challenged by PayPal's stealing their payment business, EBay bought them. They ran them profitably for some years and then spun them off. They have now figured out a way to push them out of the EBay community.

Oh, it's better than that pilgrim. eBay started using PayPal. Then eBay started up it's own payment processing deal, I forget the name. Then eBay killed it's own payment processing and bought PayPal. Then they spun off PayPal, and now are repeating their previous attempt to compete with PayPal.

Why do "job creators" get credit for supposedly being so smart?

Steve
...EBay is now collecting the bank account number, birthday and last four numbers of every customer's social security number on one of their servers...

And with that, you should all immediately change your Ebay passwords and disconnect your credit card or (god forbid) debit card/bank account number. Or, delete your account and switch to an MFA / Paypal-enabled seller.
Hah! The previous payment system eBay owned, before it bought PayPal, because it couldn't compete effectively with PayPal.

Billpoint was the name of a person-to-person money transfer service founded in 1998 and purchased in 1999 by online auctioneer eBay.[2]

In July 2002, eBay CEO Meg Whitman agreed to the acquisition of PayPal with its CEO Peter Thiel. When the deal was closed in October 2002, eBay began the process of phasing out Billpoint.[5] The shutdown was completed in early 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billpoint

Steve
No. of Recommendations: 11
Jeff,

I got the exact same message from eBay yesterday as well. I don't sell a lot of stuff on eBay, so there is no way in hell that I'll be giving them my bank account number and such.

FB Marketplace is quick, mostly cash only, local and fee free. Our local Police Department has even established two parking spaces in the front parking lot dedicated to "eComm" transactions with cameras pointed at both spots from different angles just in case someone is stupid enough to try and stick you up in the middle of the transaction.

When I called the PD and asked them if it was OK to conduct a sale at the PD, they said come one, come all! That's what we are here for.

So long, eBay account!
'38Packard