Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
...hail damaged roofs... The two homes that didn't get replacement roofs were insured by USAA.

Odd. My dad's development had a hail storm in 2015. A USAA-vetted roofer came out and gave people estimates for new roofs, and replaced most of them. Dad was happy to get his check from USAA for $10k, but just kept it and refused to replace or repair his roof (which was leaking anyway).
In 2019, while he was in rehab and I could do things behind his back, I had a highly-rated roofer replace his roof (for $10k).

Shortly afterward, a neighbor complained to me about the roofer who'd replaced his roof in 2015; due to predatory upcharges it was $15k, and turns out he did a shoddy job anyway. So the primary lesson there is "don't automatically use the insurance company's contractor, do your own research." The secondary lesson is "if it's not an emergency, wait, and don't have work done at the same time all your neighbors are having the same work done."

But to your point, it sounds like hail damage coverage might be regional? Or maybe in Dad's development the damage was worse? Because sometimes USAA does replace hail-damaged roofs.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.