Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've been cutting the hubster's hair for a year now. It looks fine. Not as good as the barber, and I don't cut it nearly as short becasue that requires more skill, but it looks nice to me. I've been cutting my own for almost 20 years, and I guess I could say the same.

I get the pampering thing many women feel about hair salons, nail salons, pedicures, but that mostly leaves me cold--with one exception. I miss getting facials, which are relaxing as well as good for my skin. I haven't had one for something like 18 months now. I was thinking of looking up online how to do it myself but have been insufficiently motivated.

Despite being fully vaccinated, I'm still uncomfortable about being indoors with all the clients unmasked even if the practioners are masked. They are all far too young to have been vaccinated yet.

I'm willing to risk my health for a quick 20-minute trip to the grocery store once a week, but not for an hour for a facial. Most people I know have resumed most of these services, but are masked while doing so. Like at the dentist, you can't be masked for a facial! However, I've been to the dentist twice during the pandemic for cleanings/exams. Dental health seems worth it--

What are you folks doing about this sort of thing?
Print the post Back To Top
Despite being fully vaccinated, I'm still uncomfortable about being indoors with all the clients unmasked even if the practioners are masked

Let me start by saying, I fully understand your feelings.

That said, have you decided exactly what you fear? Do you fear Covid period, end of story? Of maybe you fear being in an ICU, intubated with covid. Would you be fearful of getting covid, if your case has zero symptoms - i.e. temperature under 98.4, no body aches, etc.?

Americans are poor at assessing risk. If I had $1 for every time somebody says they are fearful/concerned about a plane crash but still ride in a car to the airport, I would very wealthy. In 2019 there were a total of 20 commercial plane crashes resulting in 280 deaths world wide according to Google. 157 of those deaths were in a single crash. That same year 36,096 people in the USA died in auto accidents.
No. of Recommendations: 3
If I get sick enough, my husband will have to go to a dementia ward. I take care of him as well as myself, and I need to be well enough to do it. It's kind of like taking care of a 3- or 4-year-old. Except he isn't a fussy eater ;-)

=not your average bear
No. of Recommendations: 2
I consider such things as haircuts trivial. I would not endanger my safety (or those of my family) because I want a haircut. Or a facial. Or a manicure. Those are such unimportant things that if they entail any risk at all they aren't worth it (to me).

As it happens, like your situation, 1poorlady has cut my hair about 3 times since COVID erupted. I would normally get my hair cut more often (at least four times per year...it gets annoying when it starts flopping in my eyes). But I haven't been to a parlor/salon in over a year (Jan 2020, just before I broke my back). And I have no plan probably for the rest of this year. Risk/reward just doesn't make sense.

The dentist? Yeah, we have to do that. I have an appointment in either April or May (I forget right now) for a cleaning. Doctors? Yeah, we've both had to do that many times since COVID. Again, it's risk/reward. Doctors and dentists are important, manicures and facials are not (at least to me).

If I had to do it myself, I would probably stand in front of a mirror and carefully cut my bangs out of my eyes, and let the rest grow for now.

1poorlady is letting her hair grow for now, but then it only started growing again when she was done with chemo last Aug/Sept. She's only recently caught up with my hair length. She wants it at least shoulder length before she starts worrying about cutting it.

1poorguy
In general, I think we've been reasonably careful, without just holing up entirely.
We are healthy and in our late 50's.
We take a few risks, but try to keep it rare and nothing too crazy.

I've had 3 haircuts since the pandemic.
Something like: August, October, February.
The place my wife and I used pre-pandemic has closed.
With the new one, Appointments are required and We've been the only ones there other than the stylists. In general, I'd consider it a prudent risk.

I've had one massage late last year, but I won't be back until my massage therapist and I have both been vaccinated.

I've been to the dentist a few times. I had a crown done last month.

I had cataract surgery back in the summertime.

A few other misc. Dr. appointments.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I left out massages. Because I broke my back my muscles have been in a tizzy. Some are getting weak (because they aren't used anymore), and others are having to pick up additional load. I have had three massages this year, and will have to schedule a fourth. It's not the "rub rub, feel good" massage. These folks do structural massage (I believe that's what they call it), focusing on trigger points and getting muscles to "release". There is nothing about it that feels good. Hurts like hell. But usually the next day after everything has calmed down I feel better, looser.

The major spasms I was having in January are all gone. So that's good.

I wouldn't go for one of those "just rub you all over" massages. The people we found target your problem areas, and then break them down. It's really a sort of physical therapy (my PT guy was doing that also while I was going to PT). I suppose going is optional, but I wouldn't want a repeat of the spasms I was having in January. I could hardly walk, nevermind getting sleep.
No. of Recommendations: 2
"I've been to the dentist twice during the pandemic for cleanings/exams. Dental health seems worth it--

What are you folks doing about this sort of thing? "

Been to dentist twice - last time after getting vaccinated so less worry. They are very COVID conscious.

Ear doc every 3-4 months for cleaning.....

Last regular doc visit was 'on line' - Medicare annual check..... but had blood work taken at lab. No sweat

Twice a week to the food store.

Eat out twice a week when places are mostly empty.

Will wait for a while to hit the gym again - miss it - been a year now basically - but pool was good for 5 months, but only up to 54F so far this year. Not going to spend a lotta bucks on pool heating - takes a lot of money to do that. Just wait - late APril or into May.

Do my own haircuts....short.....probably not world's best - but then who is going to see it?

t.
I do DH haircuts , cut ny iwn bangs- rest of hair tied back. Di grocery stores and/or costco when needed. Masked and wipe everything. Drs appts when necessary, masked. Not ventured for dental cleaning , prophy yet. Waiting until next Tuesday then will be 2 weeks since 2 nd pfizer shot. Only see family who has been vaccinated also. That’s it - feel like hermit and like the rest of you, its been a year. We bike, do yoga stretching at home and power walk, sometimes on beach- thats the way we’ve been living for this whole year. Sigh.....
Haven't had a haircut in a year. I'd be comfortable going to my cutter because I'm positive the salon would be absolutely letter perfect in following all the masking, distance, capacity guidelines and so would the customers. But, the salon is in Manhattan and I used to take the train in to the city, get a haircut and (sometimes) meet some friends from my former job for lunch or do some shopping. I don't want to spend nearly 2 hours each way on a train, and I'm too chicken to drive in Manhattan.
So I miss my haircuts, but am fine with having really long hair and wearing an updo most of the time. Makes for a change. I trim my own bangs.

Never was much into the mani/pedi thing. Not much patience for that kind of thing, and doing barn work looking after horses is hard on a manicure.
You can have my allotted share of facials, Alstro. Give me mild soap, water, a good toner and a light serum type moisturizer and I'm good to go. :-)

DH has been going for his haircuts locally as usually. One customer at a time in the small shop. Everyone masked. And his haircuts are quick -- 15 minutes or so. My haircutter takes about an hour for wash (with shiatsu massage), cut, and blow dry.

Our dentist is also in the city, but DH has to go, too, so he drives us in.
regards,
Kris
haircuts - Only once, maybe 6 months back, could do it with my lady men's only haircutter, she has reopened, but just too much else going on, so every couple weeks I do the best I can on my own, DW doesn't want to chance it, but I can do most, at my pace, and keep it a bit longer than normal, not exactly going out enough to bother...
No. of Recommendations: 1
I haven't had a professional haircut in a year. I have a shear with a number four spacer which I use to trim (more at prune) my beard, and my wife is kind enough to use it on my neck and even o the top of my head.

I once let my hair grow for three years while I was doing my PhD work. I modestly admit that I was gorgeous. Sort of a wolfman look.

CNC
Heh. I did that studying for my doctoral exams ("prelims"). Over a year, no hair cut, nor shaving. I looked like someone from ZZ Top. Too busy studying to bother with that. But I passed both the written and orals... :-)
In the late 60s my elder bro grew out his Jewfro a bit and had a well-trimmed beard. On the train home from a summer job in NYC during college (back office programmer at a bank IIRC), he was accosted by a businessman in a suit who called him a "dirty hippie."

Ha! My brother has always been fastidiously clean--often showering twice a day. That dirty hippie became a dentist ;-)
Because of a badly broken leg last June, I've had a lot of medical appts and was even in the hospital overnight. The only health appts I postponed are mammogram, cataract surgery, and an ENT appt.

We did our annuals by phone, but obviously gave blood for labs in person. I've also done more communicating w/doctors in the MyChart app and phone & video consult. I'm unfazed about missing my annual mammo one year as I'm not high risk ("The current U.S. Preventive Services Task Force guidelines recommend a mammogram every two years for women ages 50 to 75 with an average risk of developing breast cancer.")

I was scared early in the pandemic and started grocery shopping every other week and only during senior hour, then once a month--went 5 weeks one time(!). Now that we've both had both shots, I'm relaxed about grocery shopping every week. We still mask, social distance, shop as quickly as possible, go at uncrowded times, sanitize our hands as soon as we get back into the car and wash hands when we get home. Anyhow, this has worked so far for us, despite rampant covid in our county, beings how we never caught it--so far as we know (I was tested in the hospital last June, but that was our only test, but I check our temps, blood O2, and BP often--and note my sense of smell several times a day).

I'm probably most at risk at physical therapy, which I get twixe a week for an hour plus time in the waiting room, and takes place in a large room with many people. The occasional client has their mask under their nose or even under their chin. I complain about this.
The only health appts I postponed are mammogram, cataract surgery, and an ENT appt.

JMHO, but don't postpone the mammogram. In 2018 1poorlady was negative. One year later she was stage 2 (early stage 2, at 4 cm on the follow-up MRI). It can develop really fast.

Also, if you insist on driving you should probably get the cataract surgery too. Driving is dangerous enough when you can see clearly.

1poorguy (eye doctor says I will have to have cataract surgery in six or seven years)