No. of Recommendations: 0
Saw this site mentioned here once...I have sold some books and CD's that I had laying around collecting dust. I have netted about $55.00 selling 3 books and a CD so far (in 1 day). Will make a nice little chunk to pay off some debt!

http://www.half.com

Feel free to check my stuff out if you go there to browse! ;-)

Rob
Print the post Back To Top
I agree - it's a great place! I signed up in July and have sold over $300 worth of stuff. It's all stuff I wasn't listening to or using anymore or things we had 2 copies of (when DH and I got married and consolidated music collections). I even sold a couple of old college texts that the university bookstore wouldn't buy back because the classes had switched books. One old lit. book went for $19!! I'm not sure I paid that much for it and certainly wouldn't have gotten that much at a yard sale!

I've bought a couple of things there, too - some CD's I've always thought about buying but couldn't bring myself to pay $13-$17 bucks for. I've always bought from highly rated sellers and be pleased with the mechandise quality...
I haven't bought anything yet but am eyeing a copy of "The Wealthy Barber" for about $5.00 :)

Rob
I've just started selling there as well.

So far I'm getting $116.00 (after one month). It is all going to credit card debt.

But don't forget to factor in the cost of shipping materials for those "book rate" orders. I've spent $7.00 on that. If you are lucky enough to get someone that wants their book shipped Priority Mail, you can get the boxes/envelopes for free from your local post office (or order online at www.usps.com).
Yes, I ran out to Staples and bought some shipping supplies but am still going to come out pretty good...

I figure even if I just net $1 on something, it is better than letting it collect dust!

Rob
I am a HUGE half.com fan! I've bought some things there, and sold about 250 books and videos for a total profit of about $750 so far. I've found the shipping reimbursement is so generous it pays for the shipping supplies and then some.

My father-in-law is moving to a smaller house and just gave me about 300 of his books, so I am gearing up for another big push!
I have been considering selling the bulk of my CD collection (the bulk that I never listen to), and I have been trying to decide whether to use half.com or ebay.com. Any opinions?

Why would I prefer one over the other, and which one would earn me more for a CD?

Cassandra
I have been considering selling the bulk of my CD collection (the bulk that I never listen to), and I have been trying to decide whether to use half.com or ebay.com. Any opinions?

Why would I prefer one over the other, and which one would earn me more for a CD?

Hi Cassandra!

I've heard great things about both companies, and know people who have been successful with both.

Why not try selling some on one and some on the other at the same time, and see what happens? :)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Why not try selling some on one and some on the other at the same time, and see what happens? :)

'Cuz, Tony, that's just too darn logical and logic just isn't working for me right now! ;)

I will do it, though. But I would still like others' opinions, too!

Cassandra
BTW, Tony, I have joined your ranks -- I'm now tutoring high school students in English (part-time, thank God!). I understand, and I bow down before you (just this once, got it?). :)
BTW, Tony, I have joined your ranks -- I'm now tutoring high school students in English (part-time, thank God!). I understand, and I bow down before you (just this once, got it?). :)

I'll take it, Cass! :)

I'll send you some clients. You take Visa? ;)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
>> I have been considering selling the bulk of my CD collection (the bulk that I never listen to), and I have been trying to decide whether to use half.com or ebay.com. Any opinions?

My experience is with selling books, not CDs. In general, I've gotten better prices through half.com, especially for trade paperbacks.

BUT... some mass-market paperbacks that are very plentiful are being offered for such low prices on half.com (as low as 9 cents for one that I was going to list) that it's not worth listing them there. So I've also sold some of those in sets through Amazon.com auctions, typically five or more books by one author with a starting price of $4 or $5, plus shipping. I've also sold a few small computer parts (sound cards, etc.) in Amazon.com auctions.

I prefer to list obviously collectible items on ebay because there seems to be a larger audience of collectors and dealers there. I've used ebay to sell 19th-century American books, all to dealers (but for more than other dealers offered when approached directly).

For auction sales you can ask whatever amount you want for shipping, but it is best if it sounds realistic. It is a good idea to specify exactly what kind of shipping your listed shipping charge covers. For books, I usually write something like "$x for USPS book-rate shipping; additional charge for Priority Mail, UPS, or other shipping methods."

Half.com has fixed amounts for shipping reimbursements. For a single paperback you get $1.58, which is the actual book-rate postage for many trade paperbacks. Some mass-market paperbacks and a few trade paperbacks can be mailed for less and larger, heavier ones cost more. It is thrifty to use recycled materials for shipping everything, but I sometimes buy padded envelopes to save time -- I figure that I spend enough time in line at the post office that I can't afford to spend more time wrapping the books.
Cassandra: You could list all of them on e-bay with a reserve of not less than you'd ask for them on half.com. If they don't sell on e-bay, turn around a list them on half.com

I have bought on that site and am very pleased so far. I also have listed some books but no bites so far...

Christine
Half.com rocks!!!

Half.com is really good for the latest books, more so than some older books. The newer books get snapped up as fast as you list them. I have sold about $100 worth of books in about 2 weeks. Pretty good for books that I was either going to throw away or eventually haul to the library. I had about 64 books, and have sold about 45 of them. Most went for a dollar, and some others(hardbacks, newer novels, and some computer stuff) went anywhere from $3-$8.

I went with half.com instead of amazon because I could set the prices and not have to wait on anyone to bid on them. The shipping really pays for itself. Most paperbacks ship for $1.13, and they reimburse you $1.58. I went to Staples and bought some padded envelopes. I will probably make about $25-$30 profit on the shipping alone.
I have bought on that site and am very pleased so far. I also have listed some books but no bites so far...

Christine

I listed about 20 CD's, 12 movies, and about 18 books at first. I sold almost about half the CD's and movies before any of the books sold. I still haven't sold too many books. Every once in a while I go back and lower my prices a little if stuff's been sitting out there a long time...
<delurk>

I listed about 20 CD's, 12 movies, and about 18 books at first. I sold almost about half the CD's and movies before any of the books sold. I still haven't sold too many books. Every once in a while I go back and lower my prices a little if stuff's been sitting out there a long time...

Selling movies and such on there has gone well for me, but buying stuff has not been the best. I started buying DVDs there because they were usually cheaper. The return policy takes forever and there are some seedy sellers there. I've given it up. I've never had that problem with ebay.

Lisa

</delurk>
Hi all,

I'm kind of surprised by all the Half.com praise. I looked into it and it really didn't seem as good as EBAY. It is run by Ebay, but is pretty much meant for the stuff that won't sell on the site. Plus, the fees that they take out are MUCH larger than Ebay.

If you do have something to sell, whether it be a book, CD, video, whatever, try Ebay first. Let it go through a few times and if it doesn't sell, then list it on half.com.

I've listed many items on Ebay and have only had a few not sell. Always set your opening bid at what is the least amount you would want to sell it for. Reserve price auctions tend to scare buyers away. Also, now that I've started to accept credit cards through PayPal (a free service and the money is deposited directly into your bank account)I'm selling a lot more and getting the money faster.

Good luck.
I'll send you some clients. You take Visa? ;)

Sorry, babe, cash only. I gotta pay off MY Visa!

Cassandra
Saw this site mentioned here once...I have sold some books and CD's that I had laying around collecting dust. I have netted
about $55.00 selling 3 books and a CD so far (in 1 day). Will make a nice little chunk to pay off some debt!

http://www.half.com

Between half.com, ebay.com and amazon.com auctions, I made about 150 buckaroos last fall getting rid of my stuff. what a lovely feeling :-) I need to start doing that again. I still have a box labelled "eBay" full of shtuff...

I'm also feeling good cuz I finally took all those clothes I haven't worn in ages to a consignment shop yesterday. I'll probably make a grand total of $5.00, but the rest goes to charity and I'm fine with that. I would have given them to Goodwill eventually anyway. This way I might make a little $$ first.

-l
I've bought a couple of things there, too - some CD's I've always thought about buying but couldn't bring myself to pay
$13-$17 bucks for. I've always bought from highly rated sellers and be pleased with the mechandise quality...

I've been pleased with the two things I bought there. I even got a still shrink-wrapped copy of the first Harry Potter on audiotape (I'm in my car a lot) -- lovely!

These auction places are great, esp. if you know to sell more than you buy...

-l
I figure even if I just net $1 on something, it is better than letting it collect dust!

And it's a great place to unload those dust- and guilt-gathering impulse purchases you bought before you were Foolish!!

-l
BUT... some mass-market paperbacks that are very plentiful are being offered for such low prices on half.com (as low as 9
cents for one that I was going to list) that it's not worth listing them there. So I've also sold some of those in sets through
Amazon.com auctions,

One nice thing about selling books or books on tape at amazon.com auctions (and I think this is still the case? correct me if I'm wrong) is that they allow you to do a "see also", cross-reference sort of thing. Basically, if you are selling the book on tape of a particular title, for instance, if someone does a search for that book, at the bottom under Auctions/Z-shops, they will also get a link to your book on tape, in case they want to get that also/instead. I sold several books on tape this way.
Good luck!
>> One nice thing about selling books or books on tape at amazon.com auctions (and I think this is still the case? correct me if I'm wrong) is that they allow you to do a "see also", cross-reference sort of thing.

Yes, Amazon auctions allow you to cross-link your item to as many as nine titles in the Amazon inventory. You can enter the ISBN of any related book that you know of, or you can enter keywords and let the system suggest titles.

This isn't limited to selling books and tapes. For example, when I was selling a PCI sound card, I linked it to books on computer upgrades and maintenance.