Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
hall9999,

I'm not a policy maker, just a number cruncher, so my comments won't really answer "why" - they will just provide some perspective on the issue.

About 2 months ago a study was done on the CAPS universe to look at the effect of retroactively applying different scoring systems.  Among these tests, one method was used to virtually eliminate reloading/re-upping behaviour by finding such behaviour, and combining all the reloaded picks into one longer term pick.  This provided the maximum disadvantage to the player because it forced them to not only lose any advantage to the reloading behaviour itself, but also caused them to carry the ticker through short periods of time that they otherwise had avoided.  Specifics of the methodology aside, this provided the most extreme changes in ranking of the different compensation mechanisms for reloading examined.

The outcome was fairly surprising - the effect of reloading is quite small.  Only ~60 players had their overall ranking change by more than +-5, and NONE of the players in the leaderboard were in this group.  Dropping the threshold to overall ranking changes of only +-2, a couple hundred players moved this much, but still nobody in the leaderboard was included.  If I remember correctly (the numbers aren't in front of me), overall ranking changes of less than +-1 accounted for more than 95% of all CAPS players, and no leaderboard player dropped in overall rank by more than 0.5.

My take-away message from this study was that though the reloading issue is a very visible one, and clearly generates very strong opinions on both sides, the magnitude of effect on the CAPS universe is really quite small.  This is not to dismiss the issue, but hopefully it can put the implications of how it affects the influence that players have on the stock ratings in some degree of perspective.

CS
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.