Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
While this thread may invoke Godwin's rule with the first post I think there's a point to be made still:

TSA Announces Enhancements to Airport ID Requirements to Increase Safety
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/enhance_id_requirements....

June 5, 2008

Beginning Saturday, June 21, 2008 passengers that willfully refuse to provide identification at security checkpoint will be denied access to the secure area of airports. This change will apply exclusively to individuals that simply refuse to provide any identification or assist transportation security officers in ascertaining their identity.

This new procedure will not affect passengers that may have misplaced, lost or otherwise do not have ID but are cooperative with officers. Cooperative passengers without ID may be subjected to additional screening protocols, including enhanced physical screening, enhanced carry-on and/or checked baggage screening, interviews with behavior detection or law enforcement officers and other measures.

Of course you still have the "right" to get on a bus or train and use those means as transport but our freedom of movement is slowly being whittled away as "enhancements" to our "security" are being made. This is all for our own good of course.

Passing through the Amsterdam airport's Schengen zone the only thing of interest to the person manning the checkpoint was whether or not I had a boarding pass for a Schengen country (non-Schengen passengers need to use a different checkpoint with passport control). Had this been in the US I would have had to display my ID and boarding pass, and perhaps my boarding pass again after the walk-through metal detector and that's flying within the same country!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
My buddy working in the Bahamas calls it the Department of Fatherland Security. My other buddy (a tall born American) got stopped and harassed by the Border Patrol just for driving through Arizona, and he rather agrees.

What really disturbs me, though, is that the TSA is now contracting out security at airports. I saw it at KCI. I was in favour of Federalizing airport security, because I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Federal employees running that show than the minimum-wage-looking cretins I saw prior to that. But if they are contracting it out after all, what in the world is the point? You get the same sorts we had before.
No. of Recommendations: 23
The thing I don't get about this ID thing is that if a person or group of "evil doers" is intent on hijacking, blowing up, or doing some other dastardly deed to a plane, I would imagine they've already figured out how to get a fake ID. More feel good BS.

It's kind of like the provision in the Patriot Act that allows the government to find out, without your knowledge or consent, what material you are borrowing from your public library. I'm sure many a terrorist heads right over to the public library to get books for their plans.

Remember when we used to think how evil the Soviet Union was for spying on their citizens. tracking what they read, and keeping track of where they traveled? It seems to me we are pretty close to those same violations of liberty right now.
No. of Recommendations: 1
"without your knowledge or consent, what material you are borrowing from your public library. I'm sure many a terrorist heads right over to the public library to get books for their plans."

I seem to remember that they did just that....

They lived here for years...illegally .... wanting to learn how to be pilots but didn't care about learning how to land. It is unfortuate that we have lost total control over our illegal immigrant population, but until we have some kind of handle on who is here and why we have some choices.....keep an eye on everybody who acts like they would like to take out one of our cities or don't...because we might embarrass an American citizen? I might be in the minority but there is nothing that I do that would be of any interest to any law enforcement agency. They would be bored witless with my phone calls, my library visits and my daily activities. I don't get all the uproar over this whole thing and am grateful that we have not been attacked again after the slaughter and nightmare of 9/ll.
No. of Recommendations: 8
They lived here for years...illegally .... wanting to learn how to be pilots but didn't care about learning how to land. It is unfortuate that we have lost total control over our illegal immigrant population, but until we have some kind of handle on who is here and why we have some choices.....keep an eye on everybody who acts like they would like to take out one of our cities or don't...because we might embarrass an American citizen? I might be in the minority but there is nothing that I do that would be of any interest to any law enforcement agency. They would be bored witless with my phone calls, my library visits and my daily activities. I don't get all the uproar over this whole thing and am grateful that we have not been attacked again after the slaughter and nightmare of 9/ll.

So instead of focusing on the problem of keeping track of folks over stay their travel VISAs, we decide that we better spy on our citizens instead? It's the lazy way out.