Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Ham radio? Since long-distance telephony has become easy and cheap, why bother?

Ask the people who fight forest fires. Ask the people who responded to Katrina (police, fire, red cross, anyone). Ask anyone involved in a major disaster. Cell phones are just fine until they don't work. Police radios are great, until they don't work due to power outages or whatever.

The Amateur Radio community is made up of a lot of people who are interested in volunteering to help their communities. They have training courses and certifications just like any other voluntary discipline. In many disasters, the hams are the communication suppliers of last resort.

Plus, it's just fun. I recently spent about an hour talking to a guy in Aasiaat, Greenland about his country and city; the whales, dolphins, etc. A couple of decades ago, I listened to the King of Jordan talking to some guys, here in the states. I listened in on the guys in the space station talking to an elementary school class in New Jersey. How else could I get the opportunity to do these things?

Hedge
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.