Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Here's my situation.... I know the Kitchenaid Stand Mixers are great, but I know this would be an appliance doomed to not much use and cluttered counters.

So I'm thinking of getting a Kitchenaid hand mixer instead, which sounds like it would be more powerful than my current hand mixer.

This would help keep my counters clean and hopefully give me more power than my current setup.

Do you think it will work? I am not a huge baker, but occasionally like to make cookies, cakes etc. etc. etc.

KBecks
Print the post Back To Top
I have both, but used the hand mixer exclusively for nearly 10 years before buying the stand mixer. The KitchenAid hand mixer is a workhorse and won't let you down. It's handled bread dough and stiff cookie dough without any problems. After burning out more than one cheapo hand mixer, the KitchenAid has really has been a joy to use.

CK
RE: KB: "Do you think it will work?"

The stand mixer really justifys itself when it comes to kneading bread. The most powerful hand mixer you can buy would seem to suffice for just about everything else.

SB (has a big stand mixer and a wimpy hand held)
KBecks, You wrote: "I know the Kitchenaid Stand Mixers are great, but I know this would be an appliance doomed to not much use and cluttered counters."

While this may seem true at first glance, I never found it so where I was living in San Diego, Ca. The more that you see it the more you will use it. With purchase of a few accessories, e.g. meat grinder, you have even more uses. The hand held you will keep in a storage space, and when you think you need it you will have a tendency to talk yourself out of digging it out; assembling it; cleaning it; re-packing it in the box it came in; and finally re-hiding it in the storage space. The Stand Mixer is there ready to go and can be simply covered up with a padded cover that K.A. sells also.

The counter I had held the Mixer, a K.A. large food processor, Mr. Coffee Unit, and a two foot mixing/cutting board. That's it no more room but I was content. I was not a baker either, but I used that KA almost daily for something.

Gelfson
The counter I had held the Mixer, a K.A. large food processor, Mr. Coffee Unit, and a two foot mixing/cutting board.

My counter holds THE mixer, a microwave, a Cuisinart, the coffee unit, the bowl of onions, the toaster the paper towels, napkins and little paper cups in a stand and the cutting plastics. I'm thinking of selling the house in spring/summer and have no idea how I'm going to declutter since all the cupboards and the utility closet are stuffed. Maybe I should just pack it all away and just not cook for a few weeks or so!

MizL *hates clutter*

Here's my situation.... I know the Kitchenaid Stand Mixers are great, but I know this would be an appliance doomed to not much use and cluttered counters.

So I'm thinking of getting a Kitchenaid hand mixer instead, which sounds like it would be more powerful than my current hand mixer.

This would help keep my counters clean and hopefully give me more power than my current setup.

Do you think it will work? I am not a huge baker, but occasionally like to make cookies, cakes etc. etc. etc.

KBecks

I used a hand mixer for many years before recently buying my KA stand mixer. The thing I always hated about the hand mixer was that my hand and arm would die out before I finished mixing. There were things I just refused to make because of this (whip cream and merengue for example) because I couldn't hold the mixer that long.

I don't have much counter space and I'm not a big fan of counter-top clutter either, but in this case I'll make an exception!!

YMMV!

Anna
While this may seem true at first glance, I never found it so where I was living in San Diego, Ca. The more that you see it the more you will use it. With purchase of a few accessories, e.g. meat grinder, you have even more uses. The hand held you will keep in a storage space, and when you think you need it you will have a tendency to talk yourself out of digging it out; assembling it; cleaning it; re-packing it in the box it came in; and finally re-hiding it in the storage space. The Stand Mixer is there ready to go and can be simply covered up with a padded cover that K.A. sells also.

Well, I don't cook that much. My current setup is that my wimpy hand-held is in a drawer with the beaters. I just grab the unit the beaters, plug in and go!

I'd never re-pack in the original box, that would just mean the unit wouldn't get used.

If I did the stand mixer, it would HAVE to be out on the counter, because there's no way I would ever want to pull out the heavy thing.

Maybe it's that my mom only used a hand mixer and never had a stand mixer. We dont' have much counterspace, although I have been thinking of packing up the cookie jar, the food processor (doesn't get used much) and the coffee maker (I may give up caffeine, someday). The toaster is tucked into a small corner.

I honestly don't think I'd ever use a meat grinder. My mom had an old fashioned one with a crank that we'd pull out once a year or so to make ham salad. That's about it.

Thanks for the feedback,
KBecks

Hand/arm fatigue is a very good point. I love the idea of having a stand mixer work while I put ingredients away, tidy up, etc.

Hmm. Need to think about this one a little more.

KBecks
I am not a huge baker, but occasionally like to make cookies, cakes etc. etc. etc.

I have both stand and hand mixers and because I bake a lot, the stand mixer gets a lot of use. But there are still things I use the hand mixer for or I do by hand. Although the stand mixer will knead bread, I just like doing it by hand. And for a single batch of cookies, creaming softened butter and sugar together can be done just as quickly by hand, when you consider the time to get out the mixer, clean up and put it away. If you aren't going to do heavy duty things and will only bake occasionally, the hand mixer should be fine.
<<
>>

I got the hand mixer for Christmas, haven't used it yet though but I could, is there anything in particular you want to know about this model?

Kathy
The Kitchenaid hand mixer is very powerful. I recommend it.

- Megan