Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseK...

For a while last summer, it looked like the moderates might win the tug of war for the minds and stomachs of American diners.

The culinary arms race of ever-larger portions had started to taper off, "supersize" became a dirty word, and commodity prices, including those of many basic ingredients, were skyrocketing.

But then consumers began slamming the brakes on spending. Restaurants, by nature a discretionary splurge, started feeling the pinch. Third-quarter same-store sales -- sales at stores open at least a year -- were down 2.5% at full-service restaurants, according to market research firm Technomic.

To compete in a newly cutthroat landscape, restaurant-management companies are turning to that relic of retirement-community buffets and 1980s-era Las Vegas: the all-you-can-eat plan.

In recent months, several nationwide casual-dining brands have included all-you-can-eat pricing options on their menus, and there's evidence that local chains and mom-and-pop eateries are also running promos encouraging customers to belly up to the trough. Pancake purveyor IHOP offered all-you-can-eat buttermilk pancakes for 5 bucks, and seafood chain Red Lobster rolled out an all-you-can-eat shrimp deal.

The tactic is a bid to keep newly budget-minded customers from defecting to the drive-through. Such trading down is a perennial thorn in the side of casual sit-down restaurants during downturns, although they try to lure fine-dining customers to trade down themselves. The marketing director for Cici's, a Coppell, Texas, pizza chain that operates entirely on an all-you-can-eat model, says its customer feedback indicates that a growing number of diners are trading down from pricier eateries.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hidey Ho piglets! How's this for on topic, i even have a reference to an eatery tele eats at. IHOP too. No bacon though, although i didn't read the whole article because it was making me hungry. I'm making cous cous tonite with chicken and other stuff, the things i have to do to make the golden goose happy. I know, i have very little.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm making cous cous tonite with chicken and other stuff, the things i have to do to make the golden goose happy. I know, i have very little.
--------------------------------------
You know, it's curious that you do most of the cooking as does Art and DH. One of my sons does all the cooking (after coming home from work) and my daughter and her SO share the cooking. Of course, he cooks for a living, so that's different. The other DIL can actually cook. She has twitted the non-cooking one, who is moving to Hungary in the summer, about not being able to send out for pizza. Isn't true. I can tell the non-cooking DIL all the fast food places in Budapest. Unfortunately, the local Micky D's (known as McJobs in Hungary) uses hamburger buns for their breakfast biscuits - ick.

I do some cooking, but cooking an entire meal is difficult for me unless it is very simple. Can't stand up that long. But I try to compensate. I got an Edwards petite ham ( ) for days when the workers are here late and we need a quick dinner. In fact, we're having some tonight - with biscuits (Pillsbury - just as good as I can make).

I like cous cous, BTW. DH makes a dish of cous cous and chick peas that is just great. Also a cous cous with all sort of veggies like eggplant, roasted peppers and I don't know what all, with something like a vinaigrette with lemon in it on top. Yum! I think I'm gabbing like this because my tummy has been off the last few days, but today I feel like food again.

arrete
2828:"Hidey Ho piglets! How's this for on topic, i even have a reference to an eatery tele eats at. IHOP too. No bacon though, although i didn't read the whole article because it was making me hungry. I'm making cous cous tonite with chicken and other stuff, the things i have to do to make the golden goose happy. I know, i have very little."

My one club meets at the IHOP in Garland every first Tues of the month...so I go...and order...last time had the 'heart healthy' omelet.....made with egg beaters, spinach and tomatoes...good.....

I did pig out at the Ham Radio Club Sat breakfast this past Saturday..at a breakfast place...had a meat lovers omelet..all the bad stuff..and two slices of wheat toast....

Tonight it is off to the Great Wall Chinese Buffet..senior night.....$7 with tax.....

Went to the Golden Corral all you can eat place last Friday night..after I saw the latest Bond movie...Quantum of Solace........not that great.....too many explosions, car chases with millions of rounds of ammo fired......no intelligence to speak of.....(human kind)....

Saw another movie today..another thread...

t.
No. of Recommendations: 0
My one club meets at the IHOP in Garland every first Tues of the month...so I go...and order...last time had the 'heart healthy' omelet.....made with egg beaters, spinach and tomatoes...good.....

I did pig out at the Ham Radio Club Sat breakfast this past Saturday..at a breakfast place...had a meat lovers omelet..all the bad stuff..and two slices of wheat toast....

Tonight it is off to the Great Wall Chinese Buffet..senior night.....$7 with tax.....

Went to the Golden Corral all you can eat place last Friday night.. tele

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Which just goes to proove my point... life is too short to go through it being hungry.

Art
Which just goes to proove my point... life is too short to go through it being hungry.

Art

i know i can be a wet blanket about this stuff because it's my addiction but I would encourage you to watch some of those medical tv shows with the extremely obese patients. Some of them haven't been out of their houses, much less their beds for a long time because they can't move very well, their joints can't support them, they can't breathe when they lie down because of the pressure on their hearts. Seems like I always scan on these shows when I'm on my treadmill downstairs....lord, it gives me chills and I start walking faster. It could so so easily be me and may well be if i totally give up.

LD
i know i can be a wet blanket about this stuff because it's my addiction but I would encourage you to watch some of those medical tv shows with the extremely obese patients. Some of them haven't been out of their houses, much less their beds for a long time because they can't move very well, their joints can't support them, they can't breathe when they lie down because of the pressure on their hearts. Seems like I always scan on these shows when I'm on my treadmill downstairs....lord, it gives me chills and I start walking faster. It could so so easily be me and may well be if i totally give up. - LD
------------------------------

I'm going to be me and you are going to be you. Free will is an illusion. We only think we are in charge. Life is a school that the soul comes to learn what it needs to learn, then after it's done it sheds the body like a cocoon and goes back into the Light.

Different size people. It's all just more duality and separation. Different religions, different politics, different races, genders, sexual orientations, culture, dialects, color, weight, height, looks, yada, yada, yada.

If you don't believe me, try doing something that's not you. Something totally out of character with who you are as a person. It's very difficult to break character to be something you aren't. It may be possible, but it ain't easy.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 2
If you don't believe me, try doing something that's not you. Something totally out of character with who you are as a person. It's very difficult to break character to be something you aren't. It may be possible, but it ain't easy. --

It is impossible for me to get up and fix a simple dinner from scratch this snowy evening because it is not who I am. I put it down as something I would definitely do this morning in my plan for the day but now it is dark and the instant pleasure seeking nature of my character is getting the better of my plans. Also, I have been playing an Agatha Christie mystery solving game way past dinner time and now I am just going into the kitchen and putting in a tv dinner--I think I'll have General Tso's Chicken made by Kahiki or someone. It takes about 5 minutes. Then for dessert I will have a little dish of mandarin oranges. Or there is a good little Seeds of Life noodle dish in there with peanuts, chicken, good sauce.

I'm recording a 4 hour movie with Al Pacino as the lawman and Robert Di Niro as the bad guy. It's on Bravo. I can't believe it is 4 hours or that I haven't seen it yet. I think I'll start it while eating my tv dinner and if it seems familiar I can switch over to CSI:Miami at 9pm. I haven't watched that for weeks and weeks. It's friggin' cold out tonight Art, you would hate it. I was freezing in the house so turned the furnace up to 80 and now the living room is toasty but it's making me sleepy. I love winter though. Yesterday I had to go out and sweep tons of snow off my car, and scratch off the ice on the windshield, so I could get to the mailbox behind the post office and to the grocery store. I started the car and let it run in the driveway about 20 minutes before I even attempted to go out and do that. Lots of gas wasting but then I hardly use more than 2 tanks a year so I don't feel guilty. Even with all that cold I still like winter. I cannot help myself. Winter is my second favorite season, or maybe third.
It's friggin' cold out tonight Art, you would hate it. I was freezing in the house so turned the furnace up to 80 and now the living room is toasty but it's making me sleepy. I love winter though. Yesterday I had to go out and sweep tons of snow off my car, and scratch off the ice on the windshield, so I could get to the mailbox behind the post office and to the grocery store. I started the car and let it run in the driveway about 20 minutes before I even attempted to go out and do that. Lots of gas wasting but then I hardly use more than 2 tanks a year so I don't feel guilty. Even with all that cold I still like winter. I cannot help myself. Winter is my second favorite season, or maybe third. - catmeyoo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's cold and nasty here too, but not as cold and snowy as Nebraska. We are supposed to have an ice storm tonight, or something like that. They are all ready starting to close the schools.

I want to win the lottery and move to Miami, Florida so bad I can taste it. God I hate winter. I don't see how anybody can be against global warming? During the dinosaur times it was a lot warmer than it is now and there were ferns and palm trees in Alaska!

Art

Art
-----------------------------------
Gee, Art. I just told DH that life was too short to eat overripe, mushy melon. He was slightly offended, but then threw the rest of the melon out. Guess he didn't really like it either.

arrete
No. of Recommendations: 3
we're giving free will for a reason, to learn from our life experiences and to make changes when and where we can, still knowing that someone else is in charge. Numbing out with any substances, legal, illegal,excess food, keeps me from sharing my love with others and also, i have less money to share with others because I've spent it on my addictive substances and as a consequence, healthcare bills. When I'm into the food, my feelings are shut down and how can that be a benefit to anyone, including myself?

LD
Gee, Art. I just told DH that life was too short to eat overripe, mushy melon. He was slightly offended, but then threw the rest of the melon out. Guess he didn't really like it either. - arrete
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If the melon wasn't fermented and tasted okay I might have been tempted to cut it up and put it in our Vita-Mix (fancy blender) and turn it into juice and drink it. I've done that with watermelon and it was actually drinkable (okay - not delicious but not horrible either).

That's what I do with apples that aren't excellent. I cut them up into quarters, leave the peel on but cut out the core, and mix them with either store bought apple or cranberry juice and then blenderize the hell out of them and turn them into a drink. It's sort of an apple smoothy. It's actually pretty good and it works it's magic on me the next day - if you know what I'm talking about. I made some this morning for breakfast with three large apples and cranberry juice and then blenderized till it was creamy smooth.

I take bananas that are over-ripe and put them in the Vita-mix and blenderize them with whole milk and make bananna smoothies. I don't usually put bananna in with other juices because the flavor is so powerful that it makes everything taste like bananna. I usually do bannna alone.

I also make smoothies with frozen mixed berries or frozen blueberries. We buy them in 3 lb bags from Sam's Club. I just put two cups of berries in the Vita-mix and then pout 2 cups of whole milk and blenderize till it's sort of like a berry sorbet.

It's excellent for the digestive system and keeps the old lumen of the gut lubricated and working properly.

Art
we're giving free will for a reason, to learn from our life experiences and to make changes when and where we can, still knowing that someone else is in charge. - Luckydog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The basis for almost all religion is "free will." I'm deeply suspicious of free will and lean heavily towards fate and predestination.

If we have "free will" then why do some kids grow up to be Mother Teresea and some grow up to be Jeffrey Dahmler? Why do we make completely irrational choices in our lives that are so obviously going to cause us pain and suffering?

What it all boils down to is why are we so different from each other? What "spark" makes one person do one thing and another do something entirely different?

Art
No. of Recommendations: 9
What it all boils down to is why are we so different from each other? What "spark" makes one person do one thing and another do something entirely different?

Art

hmmm, I dunno...I know only that I've changed. I was extremely lucky to find other interests such as running and ham radio and the in my face display of folks who didn't have a life besides getting high----these folks by the way were friends who I sold pot to and they bugged me one too many times one Saturday while I was trying to put a ham radio transceiver together(telegraph-it was one of those Heathkits)....I became so disgusted with them that day and their loserlife that I just became aware of how I wanted to spend my time. Plus, smoking dope burned my lungs out and it was hard to run after a hard wkend partying and that included drinking too. And it didn't hurt that the guy I bought from got busted and I buried a couple of kilo's in my backyard.......during the winter when the ground was frozen...that was no easy feat. :)

With the drinking I only knew that the goal was to get drunk at least from the friends I had we all seem to agree with that, the drunker the better, the more stoned the better. Moderation does not come easy. :) except in politics for me. Once, I started going to adult children of alcoholics/al anon meetings, I could see clearly where I was headed and was sober for almost a yr until a relationship broke up and we decided to be friends and so here the 3 of us are, my ex, her new girlfriend who was an acquaintance of mine and me and we go see a play and then go out dancing.......boy that was a happy time and soon as I walked in the bar I ordered a double margarita and then another and I think either one or two morning and the evening ended with me, sitting on the floor(the place was crowded) and crying over my lost love and she was consoling me or something. I woke up the next morning disgusted with myself for having drunk over a woman and swearing that I'd be danged if I'd ever do such a thing again and that was 20 yrs. ago, praise the GardenBunny.

So what may seem right to do at the time changes with experiences and knowledge. May have some bumps, swerves, near misses and a lot of backsliding before those changes can take hold. It comes down to these 3 things:awareness, acceptance and action.

All this stuff is so easy to say and type and I'm probably coming across all preachy....I don't mean to be. I need to hear this stuff all the time because it's so easy to forget the lessons of the past.

We're all on our own path though.

LuckyDog