Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Seems a lot of folks across the USA are saying they're gonna "...BBQ some hot dogs and hamburgers..." today.

I'm keepin' it simple. I grilled a rack of ribs over charcoal with apple wood and dusted 'em with summa my butt rub and then slathered 'em with sum Sweet Baby Ray's original BBQ sauce.

And, we're havin' sum fresh, baked maters topped with crushed Ritz crackers, butter, salt, pepper, basil and parmesan cheese, along with sum fresh, steamed green beans (thanks to our neighbor Bob Prince.

So, what're y'all havin' fer dinner tonight?

Bill
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Kept it simple. Grilled some burgers, steamed some corn.
I grilled up some chicken, hot dogs, and Italian sausages on the refurbished weber grill I rescued from the curb.
Grilled brats. red cabbage/apples/onions/clove, and German potato salad.

Beer.

Watched Dodgers take game 1 of series w/Padres, Grateful Dead on the stereo, while the fireworks got shot off the barge over the water across the patio.
...almost forgot... beer and the best peanuts EVER. "Jumbo" peanuts from Stater Bros. Much better than the green bags at Krogers/Ralphs/Albertsons, etc.
Watched Dodgers take game 1 of series w/Padres, Grateful Dead on the stereo, while the fireworks got shot off the barge over the water across the patio.
When I was doing research on Google maps for finding the best location to view the rocket launches from Vandenberg AFB I found a spot high up in the hills that overlook both SGV and Orange County. I think next fourth I'm going to set up a lawn chair and watch all of the fireworks. You can see Disneylands nightly fireworks from there.
Smoked some St. Louis cut ribs on my Rec Tec. I used a mix of pecan and oak. I made this slab a little sweeter than normal by adding a honey glaze during the 2 hours (of the 3-2-1) in the foil.

c
I found a spot high up in the hills that overlook both SGV and Orange County. I think next fourth I'm going to set up a lawn chair and watch all of the fireworks. You can see Disneylands nightly fireworks from there.

At about 9pm on the 4th, the Dodger's SportsnetLA producer switched to a new camera mounted on the top of the Chavez Ravine top deck and panned the greater LA basin.... it was amazing how many simultaneous fireworks displays one sees from up there. I decided that we'd go to a home game next 4th, and take the elevator at 7th inning stretch to the top deck for that view.

PS: Vandenburg launched a SpaceX mission recently* right after sunset. We had a great view from the Orange County beach. The separation phase was dramatic/impressive.... come to think of it, that was also during a televised Dodger game.

(*- recently can be anything from yesterday to a few years ago)
I'm "over" foil for ribs.

Rub 'em.

Roast in the Traeger w/pecan pellet at 225 for about 3 hours, bump it to 275 for last half hr to crisp any exposed fat.

Maybe brush sauce a few times in the last hour so it has time to set.

Usually no sauce anymore.
I usually finish off my 'Q in the oven in foil. Learned that here, actually, and I really like the results. But if I was going for crispiness I wouldn't do it that way, I'd leave it exposed as you did.
PS: Vandenburg launched a SpaceX mission recently* right after sunset. We had a great view from the Orange County beach. The separation phase was dramatic/impressive....

Oh my...What memories.

I started watching NASA rocket launches from our front yard (...while simultaneously watching it on TV...) in Sebring, FL. when I was 7 years old.

And, I also saw many Shuttle Launches, including the Challenger disaster, from our front yard.

The night launches were the best. We were able to visibly follow the launch after it reached a high-enough altitude from our location (...which was pretty low throughout most of FL...) through the separation stage(s) and then as it entered space.

Dramatic?? Impressive?? Yes Sir!! Most definitely so.

Glad you got to experience something like that...Something you'll never forget.

Bill
I'm "over" foil for ribs.

Rub 'em.

Roast in the Traeger...

I have not had good luck using the 3-2-1 method in numerous attempts over the years.

The BEST rack, or three, of ribs I ever made was on a trip to the Outer Banks KOA we made one year using their open-faced-no-top grill.

I recently decided that I'd go back to "grilling" ribs, with charcoal and wood, and let Nature take it's course.

The last couple of racks that I've grilled have been better than the results when I attempted the 3-2-1 method.

*shrug*

Bill
No. of Recommendations: 3
I grew up in Titusville Florida during The Apollo Program and can remember watching them from my front yard. Apollo 11 I worked as a newspaper boy and we went out and sold a special edition of the TODAY newspaper on one of the access roads to the launch area. The roads were jammed with spectators trying to get a better view of the lift-off. Cool to be an 11-year-old kid at the time.
No. of Recommendations: 0
What cut of ribs? Is 3 hours at 225 enough for st Louis style? I can see how that would work for spare or baby back.
The last couple of racks that I've grilled have been better than the results when I attempted the 3-2-1 method.

I did 3-2-1 once. They were so soft; way way beyond 'fall off the bone' soft.

Even my sharpest thin blade fish filet knife just mangled the meat. Shoulda just hand-stripped the bones out and called it pulled pork.

IMHO, the meat shouldn't separate from the bone without a gentle tug; not literally fall off when you pick it up.
What cut of ribs?

If I get Farmer John whole spare ribs I break them down so the flap meat doesn't turn to jerky. That results in a St. Louis slab and some thin flap meat that comes off the grill way sooner.

Whole ribs, St. Louis, Baby backs.....they all finish in 3 to 4 hrs at 225, maybe bumping to 250 or 275 setting for the last half hour as I mentioned earlier.

It all cooks in the Traeger in 3 to 4 hrs. I'll bump it to 250/275 depending on ambient weather for the last half hr to put a little more brown on it, or to set a baste if I use one.

When I cook a mess of racks early, once everybody's ready to eat I'll throw the finished racks on the gas grill to reheat and put a little brown on 'em... slightly caramelizing the baste; yum!

Sometimes I get the Costco//Swift premium loin ribs, 3 thick meaty slabs in a pack. Those I rub, 225 for 3 hrs, then bump it up to 250/275 and baste 3 or 4 times the last hour. Pricey but great ribs!

I haven't had that problem. Yes, the "gentle tug" and the bone comes out, but the meat still has a firm consistency, and a good "mouth feel". Tender, but not mushy. I don't do "3-2-1" strictly...I use my judgment, so the oven phase may be more or less depending on how it looks.
Sometimes I get the Costco//Swift premium loin ribs, 3 thick meaty slabs in a pack. Those I rub, 225 for 3 hrs, then bump it up to 250/275 and baste 3 or 4 times the last hour. Pricey but great ribs!

These are the ribs I always get. Doing a set on Sunday, in fact...

Your recipe matches mine - 3hrs at 225, then bump the temp up a little bit. But in my WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain) smoker I find the really thick back backs can sometimes go up to 6-7 hrs to be fully done. I pull mine when the 'bounce test' shows the meat wanting to split/tear, but well before it's falling off the bone.
No. of Recommendations: 3

Even my sharpest thin blade fish filet knife just mangled the meat. Shoulda just hand-stripped the bones out and called it pulled pork.

IMHO, the meat shouldn't separate from the bone without a gentle tug; not literally fall off when you pick it up.

Oh, I agree. However, my results were the opposite. The meat was overcooked. I was using full racks from Costco and they always seemed way too tough even if I attempted shorter cook times and/or adding liquid to the foil portion.

Hence the reason I went back to just "grilling" them for a short time-frame, with wood added to the charcoal, and have had better results. *shrug*

Bill

P.S. I am not a BBQ purist who thinks there's only "one correct way" to smoke something properly. Whatever works, works.
I don't do "3-2-1" strictly...I use my judgment...

THAT is what BBQ is all about to me.

Find a recipe that "sounds" good, try it, and then adjust as necessary so that it comes out the way YOU want it to, not what everyone else says it "should" be. :-)

Bill