Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I just read 'Happy Money: The Science of Smarter Spending'. It offers some tips like spending on experiences is more satisfying that spending on things.

I would recommend it to those who want to Retire Well on less...
Print the post Back To Top
I agree that things like new furnishings and clothing are unlikely to improve my life, but if we buy a big screen TV, Japanese chef's knife, Vitamix/Blendtec, won't we have better experiences?!

I've been postponing those big-ticket purchases for ages, and sometimes I wonder what I'm waiting for.

ASIDE
We canceled our cable bundle before our recent 2-month RV trip (speaking of experiences ;-), just keeping the internet service. We're saving 2% of our gross monthly income! I didn't think it was that much, but unless I calculated incorrectly, 2-effing-percent for landline phone and cable TV service. wowsers! So not worth it. We typically don't even watch a single TV program or movie 2 days a week, and on another day or 2 just watch a DVD that we own.

We're home for some weeks before leaving on our next RV trip. We're watching a little free TV on DH's desktop computer--recent episodes on the shows' websites. We'll be home longer after our next trip and plan to sign up for online Netflix and maybe Hulu for more options, so that 2% savings will become more like 1.5%. But it sure was easy! Now to explain to our August house guests why we can't watch TV...
No. of Recommendations: 0
You can watch broadcast TV. We cancelled cable almost 4 years ago, and have been using the indoor antenna below for local broadcast TV. It isn't perfect, but cable TV isn't worth the cost.

Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception
http://www.amazon.com/Amplified-High-Definition-Antenna-Off-...
I agree that things like new furnishings and clothing are unlikely to improve my life, but if we buy a big screen TV, Japanese chef's knife, Vitamix/Blendtec, won't we have better experiences?!

Adding more clothes to an already full closet won't improve your life. I hadn't bought clothes for a few years, and had to replace my clothes for work.

Good knives do improve your life. My Japanese chef's knife (not as seen on TV brand) is great. I would not part with it.

I bought a Vitamix a number of years ago, and occassionally use it. It is nice, but could easily live without it.

Big screen TV depends on your definition. We bought a 45" HDTV when our previous TV died. My SS is trying to convince us that we need a larger TV. His is in the 65" range. I not sharing his opinion.

In time we will replace the upholstered furniture, but not until we have completely unpacked, and the new less toxic fire retardant laws have taken effect. The couch and loveseat in the living room are older than my stepson's wife. They are still in reasonably good shape.
<<cable TV isn't worth the cost. >>

Heh, heh! My experience has been that over the air television mostly isn't worth the cost either!

Mostly I borrow DVDs from the library, which IS worth the cost and which avoids the commercials that saturate both cable and over the air television.

I can reserve DVDs which are shipped to my local library when they are available. That works quite well, and there is lots from which to choose.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 4
2% of your monthly budget is great!!! Just think if all of your investments gave you another 2%. That is what you have just earned.

I have spent thousands on things that my family has only used a few time,if only I had all that money I spent on "gadgets that made my life better" I would be much better off.