Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Happy to be single because this creeps me out.

My husband was on a trip with his nephews and sister. I could tell what city they had reached by his gas and/or food purchases.

A different trip, he sent me a Glympse so I would know when he was returning from his son's. It was obvious when he hit a severe backup. Also, when they tried to find a gas station. I wish I had kept a screen shot. It was obvious with the back tracking and wandering that they couldn't find their destination. He said they could see the gas station but couldn't get to it.
Print the post Back To Top
Nope!
I don't remember the exact date, but I e-filed through Turbo Tax right around or just after April 1. Refund was direct deposited to my checking account early this morning.
Still waiting on our Federal refund, as well.
Filed electronically around the beginning of March.
Wondering if the changes to ACA subsidy reconciliation might be holding ours back.
We're also still waiting on our stimulus check.

We had our state refund applied to next year's taxes, so not expecting a check from them.

Fortunately, we are not experiencing nor expecting any cash flow problems as a result.
Is anybody else experiencing delays like this with their federal return?

Yes. We efiled on March 1 using TT, and the return was accepted right away. I kept checking the status online, and it took weeks before the IRS website gave any info other than the generic answer. Eventually, it did say it was being processed, and now we are back to a generic answer about a refund date being provided eventually.

They are having all sorts of issues. My son had an issue with his 2019 taxes and had to provide additional info. He did get a letter back on Feb 22 saying his refund would be mailed in 4-6 weeks, but it has now been 8 weeks and he has not received it yet. It appears they are still very backed up and trying to catch up, but I expect it will still take a while longer.
Is anybody else experiencing delays like this with their federal return?

Not really. Filed on a Sunday and refund hit the checking account the following Saturday morning.

I used TurboTax. If that matters.

Regards,

ImAGolfer
No. of Recommendations: 2
I haven't filed because I believe hell will freeze over before I get a refund in my lifetime ;)
I can't recall the last time I had a refund.

PSU
Using TaxAct - filed 27 Feb and had my refund 8 March - direct deposit.

JimA
I haven't filed because I believe hell will freeze over before I get a refund in my lifetime

How do you manage estimated tax payments effectively, or do you just accept the occasional penalty as a cost of doing business? I aim for — and typically hit — a safe harbor, but I’m not good enough to get within the ‘close enough to be within safe harbor but always owe a little bit’ level of precision. I’d love your guidance on how to get better there.

Regards,
-Chuck
Home Fool
No. of Recommendations: 1
How do you manage estimated tax payments effectively, or do you just accept the occasional penalty as a cost of doing business? I aim for — and typically hit — a safe harbor, but I’m not good enough to get within the ‘close enough to be within safe harbor but always owe a little bit’ level of precision. I’d love your guidance on how to get better there.

Not Rad.

My wife and I are still working. We keep reaching the safe harbor limits each year because we have more withheld each year. My wife's W-4 has increased the extra withholding to $500 per paycheck (26 paychecks) for 2021.

PSU
Let's see - I have more than enough in life so I am working at stressing less in general. Every year seems different tax wise. Last year was the first year I did much to get closer - mid-Dec(I think), I got the 2020 Turbotax, ran some numbers and did a 99% withheld IRA distribution to top off and get close enough.

Single, no stimulus money coming here...
Thanks, reallyalldone --

Sounds like an innovative approach and one that takes advantage of your personal and financial circumstances to meet a key obligation in a very straightforward way. Much appreciated. I'll keep that in mind should I find myself in a similar situation in the future.

Regards,
-Chuck
Home Fool
No. of Recommendations: 10
If your return has any of the refundable credits (CTC, ACTC, AOTC, EITC, RRC) your return is likely to be delayed. All of these returns are subject to additional review. With everything else going on at the IRS this year (COVID and two tax-law changes since December), there is no timetable for when the refunds will be issued.

To realize how bad things are at the IRS this year, they discovered a problem in their electronic debiting system. Some people who scheduled direct debit payments for their 2020 balances or 2021 Q1 estimates didn't see the payments made on the scheduled date. They just announced that all the "missed" payments will be taken by next week, but will be credited on the originally scheduled payment date.

Don't blame the IRS. Blame Congress who keeps cutting the IRS funding while dumpling more responsibility on the agency. This year was the first year in many that IRS funding increased, but that was mostly to deal with the direct impact of COVID on the agency.

Ira
Thanks to all for the replies. And to Ira especially for all the details. The credits definitely don't apply to us...which, as my dad likes to say, is one of those "good problems." ;)

I received a letter for the IRS this afternoon requesting paper copies of the 1040 we filed, in addition to paper copies to verify income and withholdings.

Seems like a routine verification of data. The last time I got a letter from the IRS was because I neglected to add some numbers correctly (this was 15 years ago when I was still doing them by hand...TurboTax has cut down on that source of error!).

I figured something was up and now I know!

Thanks again everybody!
Still waiting on our Federal refund, as well.
Filed electronically around the beginning of March.
Wondering if the changes to ACA subsidy reconciliation might be holding ours back.
We're also still waiting on our stimulus check.

Finally received our refund (with adjustments made for ACA subsidy) and our stimulus check.

Looks like I need to go back and amend our return, however.
This year I'm not waiting on a refund but waiting on the state to cash my (rather large) tax payment I sent in with my return. I guess it has only been 4-5 weeks but I'd like the money to leave my account otherwise I have to constantly remind myself that my balance is really $X less than it shows.
This year I'm not waiting on a refund but waiting on the state to cash my (rather large) tax payment I sent in with my return. I guess it has only been 4-5 weeks but I'd like the money to leave my account otherwise I have to constantly remind myself that my balance is really $X less than it shows.
=============================
One more reason to file and pay electronically. You get an immediate confirmation of the payment submission; it usually leaves your account within a day later.

"Constantly remind yourself?" Even if you're too young and cool to use a paper-type checkbook and check register, you still need a checking account register in some format, be it a Google-Docs spreadsheet or a Quicken app, or whatever. Because accessing your bank account app still only tells you what the bank thinks you have. Which can still be useful, because then I found out where my wife has swiped her debit card while traversing the city.

Bill
Even if you're too young and cool to use a paper-type checkbook and check register

Woo Hoo - cool at 66 !

Which can still be useful, because then I found out where my wife has swiped her debit card while traversing the city.

My husband was on a trip with his nephews and sister. I could tell what city they had reached by his gas and/or food purchases.

A different trip, he sent me a Glympse so I would know when he was returning from his son's. It was obvious when he hit a severe backup. Also, when they tried to find a gas station. I wish I had kept a screen shot. It was obvious with the back tracking and wandering that they couldn't find their destination. He said they could see the gas station but couldn't get to it.