Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

This is a hard one:

I bought a house in Australia in 1991 for $84K.
I sold it last year for (after commission etc) $72.5K giving me a large capital lost.

In reporting my tax should I convert those amounts to US dollars for the year involved? ie The Australian dollar was much higher in 1991 than it is now making my capital loss even greater.

Also can anyone point me to a dollar conversion table for 1991?

I don't read this board much so if you can email me at
it would be much appreciated.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.