Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
If you haven't read book 5 this may contain some spoilers. I'm including spoiler space for those that haven't read book 5 or else don't want to read my opinion of some hints I picked up on.

Spoiler Space

After finishing book 5 I've come up with some predictions I have for the series and I'd love to hear if you guys have any. Feel free to pooh-pooh my ideas as well.

Here we go:

Snape is a vampire. Okay, my DH really disagrees with me on this one. But, Snape is very pale and skinny with greasy hair. And at the Order's hideout at the beginning of book 5 Ron told Harry that Snape "never eats here." (pg. 77) Does anyone have a reference to Snape actually eating in the great hall?

Mrs. Norris is an animagus. No real proof here, just a feeling. She seems to be more human like than even crookshanks. Though I don't know what the purpose of it would be.

Harry and Ginny; Ron and Hermione. I'm serious. There is a tension between Ron and Hermione, and she yelled at him to ask her to the dance first next time while he got very jealous of Krum. And Harry hasn't shown any feelings for Ginny yet, but I think it will come next book. It seemed fitting also, that Ginny has read hair and Harry's mother did as well, while Harry looks like James.

laura

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
spoiler space

Snape is a vampire. Okay, my DH really disagrees with me on this one. But, Snape is very pale and skinny with greasy hair. And at the Order's hideout at the beginning of book 5 Ron told Harry that Snape "never eats here." (pg. 77) Does anyone have a reference to Snape actually eating in the great hall?

I've got to disagree with you here. I don't think Snape is a vampire because he goes out in the daytime. The reference to Snape "never eats here" is at the Order of the Phoenix headquarters. I thought it might be because he's leery about being poisoned or having his food laced with that truth telling serum. Besides, Keith Richards is also very pale and skinny with greasy hair.

Wouldn't it be cool if Snape had a long lost wife turn up? And she's really, really nice?

Mrs. Norris is an animagus. No real proof here, just a feeling. She seems to be more human like than even crookshanks. Though I don't know what the purpose of it would be.

Probably. She and Mr. Filch seem awfully devoted to one another. Ewww.

Harry and Ginny; Ron and Hermione. I'm serious. There is a tension between Ron and Hermione, and she yelled at him to ask her to the dance first next time while he got very jealous of Krum. And Harry hasn't shown any feelings for Ginny yet, but I think it will come next book. It seemed fitting also, that Ginny has read hair and Harry's mother did as well, while Harry looks like James.

Ron and Hermione, I'd bet money on it. Harry and Ginny... hmmmmm. Maybe. Luna might have more on the ball than what meets the eye, though, and who knows what develops with her.

More predictions:

Harry will become Hogwart's headmaster. End of book 7, perhaps?

Draco Malfoy is the new Dark Lord. That or he buys it, but I'm thinking there are too many hints making him Voldemort's heir to ignore.

Uhura
spoilers

I also think Ron and Hermione. I had a suspicion Rowling might kill Ron off so Harry and Hermione could hook up, but it didn't happen. I like how Ginny's character is developing.

Re Harry as headmaster, I was thinking that, too.

Re Malfoy, I think he is too much the clown to be significant, he doesn't strike me as a dangerous jackass, just a jackass.

Spoiler Space

I've got to disagree with you here. I don't think Snape is a vampire because he goes out in the daytime.

Oh, I didn't think of that. He's at the Quidditch games so he does go outside... Owell.

I like the one about Harry becoming Headmaster. I can't help but feel like Dumbledore has to die so that Harry can defeat Voldemort on his own.

Hem. Hem. I also think that Umbridge is going to be a death eater. She did send the dementors on Harry and she seems truely evil.

(spoiler)

Hem. Hem. I also think that Umbridge is going to be a death eater. She did send the dementors on Harry and she seems truely evil.

You think so? I'd be really surprised. She is a truly nasty piece of work, no question. But remember, "the world is not divided into good people and Death Eaters."

Was she in Slytherin in her school days? Definitely. But I'd be really surprised if she were a Death Eater.*

KrissyLou

*How in the world did they get called "Death Eaters" anyway. What the blazes does that mean?
No. of Recommendations: 0
<*How in the world did they get called "Death Eaters" anyway. What the blazes does that mean?>

Can't do any research because a "death eater" search produces nothing but Potter links, but a long time ago weren't there people whose occupation was to visit dying people and eat the food that the family left out for them, purportedly thus taking on the sins committed by the dying person so that he could go to judgment free of sins?

I think they might have been called death eaters. Don't know how it fits into Harry Potter, though.
A swing and a miss ... those were actually called "sin eaters":

Sin-eaters.

Persons hired at funerals in ancient times, to take upon themselves the sins of the deceased, that the soul might be delivered from purgatory. 1
“Notice was given to an old sire before the door of the house, when some of the family came out and furnished him with a cricket [low stool], on which he sat down facing the door; then they gave him a groat which he put in his pocket, a crust of bread which he ate, and a bowl of ale which he drank off at a draught. After this he got up from the cricket and pronounced the case and rest of the soul departed, for which he would pawn his own soul.”—Bagford's letter on Leland's Collectanea, i. 76.

Huh. I never heard that before. You're right that "death eater" probably does have some historical or mythological predecessor but it's not one that I've heard of.

I did learn recently that in Arthurian legends Voldemortis was Merlin's nemesis. Neat.

KrissyLou
spoiler space

I doubt it. I predict he'll go on to deach defence aginst the dark arts.

Alex
No. of Recommendations: 2

Harry will be 17 at the end of book 7. That's too young for either of these predictions to be realistic.

I predict that he'll be accepted into Auror training, and look forward to a long career hunting down bad guys.

SLL
No spoiler space necessary.

I'm just wondering if their will be life after Hogwart's for Harry and the others. I know Rowling has said 7 books and that's it. I know she'll probably be overly burned out by book 7, but will she stop?

If not, where to from here? Most writers do not completely stop writing so what will be next?
Perhaps Harry will go on to become a teacher or head master later on in life, but not right at eighteen. I got the idea fro IV & V that he wants to be an aurdor(sp?) Those dark wizard hunters.
I'm just wondering if their will be life after Hogwart's for Harry and the others. I know Rowling has said 7 books and that's it. I know she'll probably be overly burned out by book 7, but will she stop?

My guess is that she will stop...for a while. Perhaps after she's had enough of a break she'll come back and write book 8 when Harry is 25 or so?

e
My guess is that she will stop...for a while. Perhaps after she's had enough of a break she'll come back and write book 8 when Harry is 25 or so?

I think she fully intends on stopping. I think that if she does write a book 8 that it wont star HP, only have him in a cameo roll. If she puts him as the new defence against the dark arts proffesor than it will be much harder to write a new book as it will have an entirely different dynamic than the current series. If he goes on to be an Auror then she will leave herself open to more books.

She has said that she has already written the last chapter of the final book in which she tells what happens to everybody after school.

Ford
No. of Recommendations: 4
She has said that she has already written the last chapter of the final book in which she tells what happens to everybody after school.

And I want it NOW!!

Uhura
Is book 6 done yet?
No. of Recommendations: 3

At that point, Rowling will be able to retire and never work another day in her life. The question then becomes, does she enjoy writing? Will she want to create more stories because that has become her life work?

If she continues writing, she can go two ways which are not mutually exclusive. She can write books that are not set in the same world as Harry Potter. The success of Harry would guarantee her ability to get at least one non-related book published.

Or, she can write more books in the same world as Harry Potter. I think that she's done with Harry as a central character after Book 7. Writing about Harry as a 25 year old would require a book clearly aimed at adult readers, and it would be tough to pull it off. But she can certainly write a book or series of books about what happens to Harry's kids when they attend Hogwarts. There are plenty of opportunities to show how things do and do not change in the course of a generation. We could see life lessons like, "Every generation must conquer evil for itself."

Patzer

There's also plenty of room to write Harry Potter prequels--the stories of James Potter's life, the young Snape and how he got converted from death eater to doing good, the young Dumbledore, or even the story of the founding of Hogwarts.

Patzer
I think after the seventh book she should announce she will never again write a book set in the world of Harry Potter.

Milking it dry will only ruin it. Writing a consistently good seven book series will be a miracle by itself.
I think she fully intends on stopping. I think that if she does write a book 8 that it wont star HP, only have him in a cameo roll. If she puts him as the new defence against the dark arts proffesor than it will be much harder to write a new book as it will have an entirely different dynamic than the current series. If he goes on to be an Auror then she will leave herself open to more books.

I could see a new series, with a new protagonist, attending Hogwart's with Harry as a professor. But she can't continue with Harry, because he'll be an adult. Adults don't star in children's books--children do.

Ellen
I have images of Rowling just daydreaming of being able to write one of the other stories that fill her head. I'll bet she will be happy to wrap up the Harry Potter series in 2 books. I predict she will write something completely different and then be subjected to the indignity of everyone comparing whatever she does to HP and never letting it stand on its own or live up to her original work.

Then again - my pyschic powers are pretty weak. I do think she has other stories to tell, though. Most writers do. I hope she gets a chance to let them come out.

Who knows? Maybe she has been so late with this HP because she is penning teen girl fiction under a nom de plum? hmmmmmm.....

P.
But she can't continue with Harry, because he'll be an adult. Adults don't star in children's books--children do.

Along this point I was thinking of the Anne of Green Gables series recently. In that one (which I do believe also had 7 books) she starts as a spirited, imaginative, mischievous 11-year-old and by the seventh she's a spirited, imaginative, but really pretty conventional middle aged doctor's wife. Now the last few books do tend to shift the focus to Anne's children. But up through the fifth one it's All About Anne and she's definitely an adult -- gone off to teach in for a few years, then married, adjusting to married life and a new town and her first baby. So it *can* be done.

But I'm not sure it would be a good idea to do it. Seven Harry books will be great -- I'm not sure that fifteen would be a good idea at all. Things have to peter out after a while. It sounds to me like Rowling has a carefully planned out story across the seven books and then she's done. I'll be interested to see what her next project is.

KrissyLou
No. of Recommendations: 3
If she truly doesn't want to write any more harry potter or that world books after number seven, then she should sell the copyright to someone els so that they can run with it. I'd like to see a full 22 eps per year hogwarts television series. it could be pre or post harry series, or even be what happens all the rest of the year that is not mentioned in the books. You know, little side adventures not part of the main plot.

There used to be a very similar british program called "The worst witch" that was also cast at a magic school in a castle with a headmistress and a beurocracyand a song. The main character was Mildred Hobble, and she was absolutly the cutist little thing. Had a cat that wasn't black. I liked that program... sorry, I'm rambling. It's late.
I loved "the worst witch". still watch it occasionally.

If that woman (forget her name) doesn't do any more Harry books or anything else she really really needs to sell it to someone else like OldFatherHubbard said.
If that woman (forget her name) doesn't do any more Harry books or anything else she really really needs to sell it to someone else like OldFatherHubbard said.

Maybe it would be best if she did, but I don't see that happening. From what I have heard, JK has been very contolling of the movies. They have to get her stamp of approval before they diverge from the book. This is one of her babies, and I don't think she is going to set if free.

And it is not as if she needs the money, she is one of the highest paid people in the UK.

Ford

I'm not sure what I think is going to happen to Harry, but I think Neville is going to end up a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor after what he showed he could do in book 5.

Karen, joining this thread late
If she really wants the story to end, she could always have him to lose his abilities.