Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Has someone convinced you that the last 6 years have been a Republican success? Looked around at what they've accomplished lately?

I guess that depends on what your expectations were and what you define success as.

Regarding Iraq, getting Saddam out of power and giving the Iraqi people a fresh start was the expectation. That has happened. Granted it hasn't gone perfectly, but perfection isn't a realistic expectation. I certainly don't see it as an utter failure.

Regarding the economy, it's growing. Not every part of the country is taking part in the growth, but there's usually a localized political reason for that (the inept governor of Michigan, the inept political machine in Detroit, etc.)

The national budget is a mess, though I place more blame on domestic spending than military spending. It's still bad news in either case.

I've been quite pleased with the judicial appointments thus far, I'd consider that to be a success. I like Rumsfeld. I liked Ashcroft. I like Rice. I even like Delay (still) and Rove! Sure, they're controversial as hell, but I'd only be upset if I didn't agree with them! If it upsets the correct people, then it's a plus in my book.

I wouldn't even give Bush a failing grade on civil rights issues. He has been far more supportive of the second amendment than Clinton, a huge plus in my book. I see the concern with wiretapping, though I think it is misplaced considering the situation. I'm not worried about it.

Quite frankly, I'm not seeing this utter destruction of the country that is supposedly happening. I'm seeing it chug right along and even getting better in some not insignificant ways. It isn't perfect, but it's far better than the alternatives and, as I said before, expecting perfection is futile.

Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.