Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
have a lawyer friend who has more than 100k in student loans
thing is, he has a lot of kids and is economically challenged by the choices he has made

Higher education is such a racket. Learning is the cheapest and most accessible it has ever been, but getting a degree is the most expensive.

Law school is a good example. At least the third year is probably unnecessary, and a sleepwalk for many (a very expensive sleepwalk). Plus, you spend 3 years and six-figures, then need to pay about $4K on a separate private course to learn what you need to know to pass the bar exam.

Not to mention, schools aren't particularly interested in whether students learn, as that isn't one of the inputs in the US News rankings. In fact, it is a bit of a stigma professionally if a professor is too good at teaching.

To be fair, there are good professors who do care if students learn. Also, many US universities are good research facilities.

Sorry for the rant. I just was reading the 2019-2020 tuition costs for one of my alma maters and adding up what it would cost to send my kids there.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.