Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Howdy yall,

I am 31 and just starting to take control of my investing. I have have a fund through a full serv. broker for about 4 years and now I feel I have learned enough to go on my own (my roth is being processed as I speak). My goal is to retire as early as possible, and I think I can retire in good fashion by age 50 by investing in stocks outside of my roth account.
I am not looking for specific advise to a spec question. Just say whatever about what you wish you knew about at age 30.

Tom
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Tom,
re:
Just say whatever about what you wish you knew about
at age 30.

If I had only known (at 30) about retirement and the stock market!

The rule should be
a)to learn about the stock market during high school,
b)work between 23 to 43 and invest in the stock market
c)retire at 44 and invest and enjoy life before sickness shows up!

Norm
No. of Recommendations: 1
bakus wrote,

I am 31 and just starting to take control of my investing. I have have a fund through a full serv. broker for about 4 years and now I feel I have learned enough to go on my own (my roth is being processed as I speak). My goal is to retire as early as possible, and I think I can retire in good fashion by age 50 by investing in stocks outside of my roth account.
I am not looking for specific advise to a spec question. Just say whatever about what you wish you knew about at age 30.

Check out the Retire Early Home Page at the following link:

http://home.earthlink.net/~intercst/reindex.html

The author retired at age 38 -- mainly by saving aggressively and cutting what he paid in fees and commissions to close to zero.

intercst

<<Just say whatever about what you wish you knew about at age 30.>>

1. Use whatever saving/matching alternatives your company offers.
2. Put whatever you can into IRA's
3. Invest in stocks. Do not invest inthings you don't understand.
4. If you are doing the above, be patient and live a good life giving of yourself to worthy causes.

Z-Bar

bakus asks:

Mickey Mantle once said "If I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself."
Tom asks re: investing Just say whatever about what you wish you knew about at age 30.

1.Buy Great Companies by finding them through my own research. Even if you hear a hot "tip" ALWAYS research, research, research. Don't ever trust an analyst (suit), or broker they are selling you on a "stock" they already own and want you to buy it to drive up the price. Only buy Great companies which have great fundatmentals!

2.The "Long Term" Long Term Buy & Hold (LTB&H)is 2-4 YEARS long. Not two or four days or weeks or months or quarters.

3. Great companies may roller coast in stock price. Don't worry about the short term stock price.

4. Sell a Great company only if a) the fundamentals change b)You have a better place to put your money or c)If you want or need to spend some bucks for pleasure or necessities

5. Investigate residental rental real estate.

6. Patience

Retiring .. semi-retired at 45 (worked one day a week for myself) and raised 3 kids as a single parent. Fully retired now.