Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Have any of you done the actual math? We made a spreadsheet with me taking SS at the starting age of 62. We added the numbers up annually, and increased them each year for the cost of living increases that social security gives annually. Then, we invested the money every year and made a 10% return by investing in reasonably safe stocks. Then, we compounded the 10%. (This is based on us making an average of more than 10% on our stock investments for the last 10 or 15 years.)

We listed all the money -- age 62, 63, 64, and on and on.....

Then we did the same thing if we waited, and I would take social security as late as possible. **That means you would list ZERO for age 62, 63, 64, etc.

The age at which I would break even was above 85 years old. Because I will have stashed all that money since I turned 62... So, we chose for me to take it as early as possible. (You must also figure in life expectancy, and since I fought cancer over 10 years ago, I think I will probably not make it to 95...)

True, not everyone can totally invest all of their SS payments -- many people need that money to live on. But we did not. So, we figured it with us investing all of the payments. Of course, life expectancy is an unknown, but we decided that it was worth taking the money early.

I know there are many factors in everyone's lives that will effect this outcome, but doing the math is a simple thing to do. Good luck.

Footsox
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.